Will Espero. a member of the Democratic Party represents the 20th Senatorial District in the Hawaii State Senate of the Hawaii State Legislature. The 20th senatorial district includes Waipahu, Honouliuli and Ewa.
Espero served in 1986-94 as executive secretary of the city Neighborhood Commission, which governs the neighborhood board system. He sat on the ‘Ewa Neighborhood Board in 1995-99. He was general manager of the ‘Ewa by Gentry Community Association before taking office in January 2000.
Will Espero ran unsuccessfully against state Sen. Brian Kanno in 1992 as a Republican before switching to the Democratic Party in 1994.
Governor Cayetano appointed Will Espero to fill the House seat vacated by former Rep. Paul Oshiro, 41st representative district, Ewa Beach. He assumed office in January 2000, for a term that ended in December 2000. Espero was elected to the House in 2000 and served as a Representative until 2002, when he was elected to the Senate. He was re-elected to the Senate in 2006.
Espero was born in Yokosuka, Japan in 1960 to Victor and Paulina Espero. He graduated from Seattle University in 1982 with a B.A. in Business.
Espero has lived in ‘Ewa since 1989. He is a single parent with two sons.
Member of the following Senate committees:=
- Public Safety (Chair)
- Economic Development and Taxation (Vice Chair)
- Transportation and International Affairs
- Commerce, Consumer Protection, and Affordable Housing
Hawaii State Capitol, Room 207 415 South Beretania Street Honolulu, HI 96813 Phone: 808-586-6360 Fax: 808-586-6361 E-mail: senespero@Capitol.hawaii.gov
- Will Espero (Hawaii State Legislature)
- Sierra Club Legislative Environmental Scorecard 2003-2004: Espero 69% (Sierra Club of Hawaii)
- Legislature OKs hike in taxes for isle transit -- Backers say the plan gives new momentum to an Oahu rail system By Richard Borreca Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 5-4-05.
- Work begins on Ewa H-1 access -- North-South Road will be completed in three phases By Rosemarie Bernardo Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 2-10-05.
back to Hawaii