-- Norbrook 18:23 31 Jan 2010 We're having difficulty with Edwardsorobama actions the Haiti Earthquake Relief wiki page. He's been removing sections, links, and rearranging them to suit his personal agenda. Both sardonyx and I have had to undo his revisions on several occasions and we have asked him to cease his actions. He still is doing it, and it's become the major work just to keep it the way it should be. If you could do something about it, I'd appreciate it.
--AlanF 10:06, 18 June 2009 (EDT) Yesterday, I blocked the user "Totallydriven" who had posted a page with spam regarding a "UK Airport Transfer Service". I was uncertain how to delete the page itself, since its title was a URL. I saw later that you deleted it, so thanks for that. But today, I received an email from someone who wrote "I got a message that somehow someone had blocked my IP address because of “spam”. I have no idea what this means and I can still apparently use my Daily Kos account (Liberal Thinking). It says I can contact you about it. Can you explain what this means and help me resolve the problem? The block ID is 676." The guy who wrote the e-mail gave his (presumably) real name and a cell phone number, as well as a URL that links to what seems to be a genuine website for green home construction. I'm not sure how best to address this. Perhaps I should lift the block on the IP address and see whether any other spam gets posted?
--User talk:corncam 10 Jan 2006 Oh, I thought you were the webmaster for dKosopedia. Is there a webmaster?
--corncam 09 Jan 2006 I have added four new state candidate guides to the How to Run for Office page, for Iowa, Ohio, Georgia and New York. Would it be too much trouble to update the Main Page to include these new links? Thanks, corncam.
I have added a link from 2006_Governor_elections to the Texas_gub,_2006 page, and vice versa. That way you can organize Texas however you want, and casual browsers will still be able to find your info. BTW, I didn't actually create the 2006_Gov... page, but I decided to use it for holding info on Iowa's governor race. - corncam, 6 Jan 06
I liked your article on the Texas gubernatorial election, 2006, but I think that it would be more useful as a part of 2006_Governor_elections, where several other state's governors races are discussed. - corncam, 5 Jan 06
Jbett, which one of the state legislative pages do you think would make the best next Featured Article? Bart, December 19, 2005
--Pyrrho 23:23, 16 Aug 2005 (PDT) Hi Jbet. Hey, I'm thinking of starting a Hawaii Community Blog... it would be scoop style but actually use soapblox, a java based scoop-featured software created by dkos user pacified and now in use by MSOCs MyLeftWing and a bunch of local blogs. The idea is to add local features (like looking up events by zip code, etc)... after all of your work on the Hawaii pages here I thought you might be interested in front page posting on such a blog. I will be an admin, I may post some but the basic fact is I don't have the kind of command over Hawaiian politics I'd like to see on such a page.
--Centerfielder 05:45, 8 Aug 2004 (PDT) Good work on the Hawaii page.
--Pyrrho 12:09, 12 Aug 2004 (PDT) I second that... in fact... your page has already been useful to me... I didn't know those sites on the Superferry! That ferry will be a godsend, imo. And further, in general, thanks for all the articles and stubs.
Anonymous troll Your work is great, keep it up, some of the now-better-named pages suggest more general topic lists or category lists (especially on environmental topics), such as Hawaii waste topics, Hawaii ecology topics, Hawaii tourism topics, Hawaii biosecurity topics, Hawaii food topics, etc., etc... The reason to conserve capitals in page names is so that people can use them in ordinary English sentences, as I just did here. Keep up the good work, it'd be great to have 100 people here doing the same for every state and major region.
I've been busy, you've been busy. I am unfamiliar with Hawaii, and there is only a little more I can do with the category "Hawaii", tho' "Hawaii Democrats" and "Hawaii Republicans" have already made their appearance. There are some empty categories, as I think you know. And it would be nice if you all signed your comments. --Allamakee Democrat 19:35, 2 April 2006 (PDT)
I see you laboriously moved all those articles I so laboriously moved to Hawaii stub from cat X back to cat X. I moved them there in the first place because they were very stubby, but wanted your input.
You have by far the largest collection of categorized articles. For the moment, the present arrangement is fine, but as things progress, and all stray articles get moved home, some further refinement will be in order. --Allamakee Democrat 08:24, 15 April 2006 (PDT)
Admins seem to be absent. I have a huge amount of stuff for deletion. I get no admin feedback. It's as if they don't give a F. Should I abandon this effort consequent to their indifference?--Allamakee Democrat 22:14, 15 April 2006 (PDT)
I've been pruning the redundant categorizations (e.g., articles in cat "Planning in Hawaii" don't need the category "Hawaii" also, in that Planning in H is a subcat of Hawaii). This keeps the main cat ("Hawaii") at a manageable length.
It occurs to me that a category "Hawaii State Agencies and Departments" is probably in order. Articles such as Hawaii State Department of Budget and Finance, etc. would fit well.
BTW, I was ignorant that Oahu County and Honolulu had amalgamated themselves into one governmental entity. --Allamakee Democrat 15:16, 5 May 2006 (PDT)
Allamakee, I like what you do....so keep on doin'. It all makes sense to me.
For the life of me, I don't know why the City and County of Honolulu was named in such manner. Oahu County is a much better description of the county proper, which includes alot more than the city of Honolulu. Why you did what you did is the logical extension of how the other counties are named. But, go figure! --Jbet777 09:29, 6 May 2006 (PDT)
Would you re-configure your account so that you can receive email? This is done in "preferences". Nearly everything on a wikipedia can be viewed by anyone who knows how. We need a private channel.--Allamakee Democrat 15:40, 9 May 2006 (PDT)
Just so we don't step on each other, I'll be doing Illinois next. If you notice, there is method to my madness. Right now, there is a box bordered by the Mississippi on the east and the Sierras/Cascades to the west. I'm working on the east bank of the Mississipi right now. I'll also be revisiting them all fixing things I've left out. The more of these you do, the better you get. Right now, it's reduced almost to an assembly line. And just imagine, after the November election, we'll be ripping apart all 435 of these things all over again. --Allamakee Democrat 23:41, 31 May 2006 (PDT)
When you have time, I would appreciate your comments re: http://www.dkosopedia.com/wiki/dKosopedia_talk:Categorization --SarahLee 11:04, 1 June 2006 (PDT)
Critical mass on CT-Sen FAQ
Hi...I'm looking to heavily recruit folks to edit the CT-Sen FAQ article, and I'm trying to get a critical mass of editors around it. The idea is that if people see an example of an article that is both really good and really useful to their immediate needs, they would get the value of dkosopedia. Would you consider helping? -- RobLa 22:49, 21 August 2006 (PDT)
- I'll help when I can. I think you have a great idea, dkosopedia does need more able and willing bodies! Thank you. --Jbet777 21:31, 22 August 2006 (PDT)
- Thanks! -- RobLa 23:52, 22 August 2006 (PDT)
- FYI, I've posted a diary trying to drum up editors. I see that you might be active editing today, so I thought I'd give you the heads up (and pimp my diary ;-) -- RobLa 10:03, 26 August 2006 (PDT)
Hi Jbet777, I hope that things are OK after the big quake. --Corncam 19:57, 16 October 2006 (PDT)
- Hey Corncam, Thanks for asking. Actually, I was born and raised in Hawaii but am now living in San Diego, so I missed the "roller coaster". Family back on Oahu are all fine, (but haven't been able to get through to my brother on the Hilo side of the Big island). They're not used to 15 seconds of rock and roll!! Thank God you're in Ioway! --Jbet777 08:24, 17 October 2006 (PDT)
Post election reorg
Added tag linking template tutorial
GU, PR, VI etc
We've talked. I've intruded into your space. I think the Northern Marianas Islands do not send a Territorial Delegate to the Congress. Forgot to sign. --Allamakee Democrat 01:36, 16 November 2006 (PST)
- You're not intruding, this is a wiki, do whatever you want or can. Any improvement is appreciated. If you know something about Hawaii, I'd appreciate updates on Hawaii articles, it's not "my space", I just happen to be the only one working on those articles. Why this is so I don't know. Really, I have no territoriality in dKosopedia. I wish there was more interest and contribution to this wiki. Thanks for your note. --Jbet777 06:01, 16 November 2006 (PST)
Charles Djou article
Centerfielder, take a big picture look around at this dKos operation. Look at who has been contributing over the past year. You had four, now only three, people making consistent contributions. On person working on the Plame Leak, one person doing Hawaiian politics, and Corncam doing Iowa politics and a lot of Congressional stubs. I'm the fourth. Beyond that there is the pathetic circle jerk involving tag management. In future, as the new welld eveloped contributions increasingly evaporates and the quality of existing articles declines you will have only You to blame. Mediocrity drives out genius. Goodbye. BartFraden
What would you think of creating a table that shows the members of the Hawaii State Legislature similar to how Wikipedia shows the members of the various state house delegations? Example:
Having something like this on a state level might be interesting, but would be a nightmare to put together. Interested in tackling that with me?
Chadlupkes 10:14, 12 June 2007 (PDT)
- You had it right there for a second, it would be a nightmare to put together. First, the state district boundaries have changed once or twice since statehood, doing a perfectly linear district history would take some investigating that I can't do from here in San Diego. Plus I don't have that much time to do it, as you can tell from my spotty appearances here. You're welcome to try and I can jump in when I can to make it work. Might be even easier than I think. Aloha, --Jbet777 10:28, 12 June 2007 (PDT)
- I think I'll want to start with Washington State, since that's my own home territory. Chadlupkes 10:37, 12 June 2007 (PDT)
- Show me your ideas on a format. I'll do what I can. : ) --Jbet777 10:46, 12 June 2007 (PDT)
- Chad, now that I've worked on the table of the members of the Washington State Legislature and seeing the layout in 2D, and having the time to mull over it, I can see the utility of doing it for the Hawaii legislature. Thanks for opening my eyes. --Jbet777 07:29, 14 June 2007 (PDT)
Jbet777, I'll be happy to take a look at Washington State. --Corncam 15:48, 12 June 2007 (PDT)
Thanks Corncam, you're a real sport! --Jbet777 23:09, 12 June 2007 (PDT)
Allamakee Democrat comes back.
There is an apparent conspiracy of Mormons (and probably Muslims) on dKos, certain of whom have effed my account on dKos (I cannot post).
I discuss the Mormon problem, the Christian Scientist problem, the Seventh Day Adventist problem, and the Moonie problem as I discuss the Muslim problem. All of these are false religions. Kos would seem to be friendly to false religions. Please send this message upwards. --Allamakee Democrat; the board does not let me click my identity.
Oh, and yes, that November in 2008, I'll be there.
Hi Jbet, It looks like we have an outbreak of vandalism. Do you have any ideas on how to stop it? Maybe we should impose a 24 hour delay on edits for new logins. --Corncam 09:54, 10 October 2007 (PDT)
- I'll second that. This is nutz. Chadlupkes 10:06, 10 October 2007 (PDT)
- Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm like you though, I don't have any 'extra' powers. Centerfielder has more more of a 'head honcho' for this wiki, maybe he can put a hold on this rash of vandalism.--Jbet777 14:38, 10 October 2007 (PDT)
the images on those pages appear ok to me. do they look odd, or jst not show up at all? --Centerfielder 06:26, 12 January 2008 (PST)
- no images show up on those pages I listed. However, any dKosopedia articles that have images linked to a server outside dKosopedia show up OK. --Jbet777 09:50, 12 January 2008 (PST)
- So you don't see these:
- On second thought, these images are taking an awful long time to load. Maybe MediaWiki renders thumbnails on the fly, and there's a timeout because of the latency. Try the pictures with and without "thumb" and check time to render.
-- Centerfielder 05:28, 14 January 2008 (PST)
- Ok, I had a typo in the configuration params that allow image uploading, but I'm not sure that affected this problem. Might have, though. Let me know. --Centerfielder 05:42, 14 January 2008 (PST)
- Cleared cache, shift-reload..still no images. Am not sure what you mean by trying the images "with and without "thumb"". I went into my preferences and under the file tab decreased the thumbnail size with no effect. --Jbet777 10:46, 14 January 2008 (PST)
- Do you see the images to the right? -- Centerfielder 16:05, 14 January 2008 (PST)
- Nope, no images showing. --Jbet777 20:22, 14 January 2008 (PST)
- When I click on the space where the image should be, the Image:pic.jpg page come on the screen also without an image. If I click the link located where the picture should be, I get this page: "Forbidden You don't have permission to access /w/images/8/87/Kalama.jpg on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request." Hope that helps. --Jbet777 20:30, 14 January 2008 (PST)
- Hmmm. Ok. I assume you must have been able to see them before. Does the logo show up? Nothing has changed on the dKp, has anything changed on your end? It sounds like you're running up against hotlink protection. I only allow dKp images to be accessed by dKp pages ("http://dkosopedia.com", "http://www.dkosopedia.com", "http://meta.dkosopedia.com"). Are you perhaps now running through a proxy server, or some via other redirection? Is the url in the browser one of the above allowed? --Centerfielder 10:18, 15 January 2008 (PST)
- Will be away from my computer at home for next 4 days. Will continue investigation when I get back. Thanks for your time. --Jbet777 23:13, 15 January 2008 (PST)
- I do see the pictures on my friends computer, so somethings not right with my computer. --Jbet777 23:14, 15 January 2008 (PST)
- Problem solved. Tinkered with my firewall protection (ZoneAlarm) and viola, I see the images. --Jbet777 08:46, 22 January 2008 (PST)
I figured you'd see that. Remember, you can "protect" an article if need be, though just watching it may be enough for now. --Centerfielder 14:15, 24 January 2008 (PST)
Presently in the process of moving to Hawaii. Won't have home internet sevice until next week. Ed
Is Andy Stephenson an appropriate subject for dkosopedia
Hi, this is a strange question, however there was a discussion about Andy Stephenson's wikipedia entry on Democratic Underground ( http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2894202 ). It is a subject of considerable controversy with Conservative Underground posters and therefore his wikipedia page more or less crashed and burned. We used to have Demopedia (I used to be a regular contributor there) and that did feature Andy, however that Wiki wasn't very popular.
Andy is most definitely notable, however it can lead to some vandalism, but I'm sure that this site is strong enough to handle it. Another point is that Andy specialized in Election Fraud.
Do you think that dkosopedia will allow an entry on Andy or not? DrDebug 11:22, 22 February 2008 (PST)
- There should be an article on Andy Stephenson, however, keep in mind that there aren't too many superusers keeping eyes on the site when writing the article. --Jbet777 16:02, 22 February 2008 (PST)
- Thanks. I'll keep an eye out on the article as well. The level of vandalism is very low here ;) Just did some gnoming and it felt like long time with a wiki where you can actually do some fun gnoming and watch articles improve. I also like non-neutral entries where you can feel that the person wrote it from the heart. DrDebug 16:16, 22 February 2008 (PST)
P.S. Images don't show up on my computer either, so you aren't the only person with that problem ;) DrDebug 11:22, 22 February 2008 (PST)
How about adding Barack Obama to the main page as in need of updating, because he is still thinking whether or not he'll run for President and I'm sure that there are some Barack fans who can fill in the minor blanks and it is a more popular subject than Intelligent Design... DrDebug 10:48, 23 February 2008 (PST)
- DrDebug, thanks for your changes to many dKosopedia pages and esp. to Barak Obama! And hell, I saw ALL your changes to the Obama article and am glad you did it ;) Centerfielder changed the main page featured article on February 7. The Obama article, I agree would be a great featured article. --Jbet777 22:10, 24 February 2008 (PST)
your email address
Email to you is getting bounced when someone edits a page you're monitoring. Could you check your email address and make sure it's up to date? Thanks. --Centerfielder 13:05, 16 December 2008 (EST)
I'm being harassed by one or two vandals who aren't interested in reaching a middle ground so much as they are in pretending like they are powerful. --Edwardsorobama 20:28, 31 January 2010 (EST)
"Have you looked at the history of the Haiti Earthquake Relief page and its genisis from Norbrook's User Page? If you haven't, you should. This is basic: deleting portions of the major contributor's hard work to suit your preferences/biases without sound reasoned discussion/collaboration is inadequte (especially in this important matter of dire human need) and grounds for being banned. So please behave in a more mature manner. "
I have behaved in a "more mature manner" to the point that all I'm trying to do is alphabetize some of the sections but you know who keeps reverting this. --Edwardsorobama 19:51, 2 February 2010 (EST)
Point is, Norbrook is doing the lion's share of link gathering/writing. Why aggravate? Why play the reversion 'game' if all you're doing is alphabetizing? Your good work on other articles has been and continues to be appreciated, EdwardsorObama. --jbet777 16:00, 3 February 2010 (EST)
Turned off new account creation
Jbet, I've turned off new account creation to try and thwart the spammers. --Centerfielder 19:18, 19 December 2011 (EST)