United States Director of National Intelligence
The Director of National Intelligence (DNI) is a United States cabinet-level official coordinating all 15 components of the Intelligence Community, and is the principal intelligence adviser to the president and the statutory intelligence advisor to the National Security Council. Creating the post of DNI was one of the recommendations in the report by the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States investigating the September 11 attacks.
On February 17, 2005, President George W. Bush named U.S. Ambassador to Iraq John Dimitri Negroponte to the post, pending confirmation by the Senate. It has been reported that President Bush's first choice for Director of National Intelligence was former Director of the Central Intelligence Agency Robert M. Gates, who declined the nomination.
Previously, the Director of Central Intelligence (DCI) oversaw the Intelligence Community and served as the principal intelligence adviser to the president, in addition to serving as head of the Central Intelligence Agency. The DCI's title is now Director of the Central Intelligence Agency (DCIA), and the Director serves only as head of the CIA.
The House and Senate passed the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 by votes of 336-75 and 89-2, respectively, and President George W. Bush signed the bill into law on December 17, 2004. The act created the post of DNI, established a counterterrorism center, and attempted to ease communication between different branches and agencies of the government.
Directors of National Intelligence
|Name||Term of Office||President(s) served under|
|John Dimitri Negroponte||April 21, 2005 - Jan. 4, 2007||George W. Bush|
|J. Michael McConnell||January 2007–||George W. Bush|
Deputy Directors of National Intelligence
|Name||Term of Office||Michael V. Hayden||April 21, 2005 - May 26, 2006</tr>||Ronald L. Burgess, Jr. (acting)||May 26, 2006–</tr>|
- Benjamin A. Powell - General Counsel
- Kenneth C. Brill - Director of the National Counterproliferation Center (NCPC)
- Dale W. Meyerrose - Associate Director and CIO
- Theresa Everett - Associate Deputy Senior Acquisition Executive and ODNI Procurement Executive
- Alexander W. Joel - Civil Liberties Protection Officer
- Eliot A. Jardines - Assistant Deputy Director of National Intelligence for Open Source
- Eric Boswell - Assistant Deputy Director for Security, Office of the Deputy DNI for Management
- Mark Ewing - Principal Assistant Deputy Director, Office of the Deputy DNI for Customer Outcomes
- Shishu Gupta - Associate Deputy Director for Systems Engineering and Information Integration, Office of the Deputy DNI for Collection
- Melvin Heritage - Assistant Deputy Director and Senior Acquisition Executive, Office of the Deputy DNI for Management
- Charlotte Martinsson - Assistant Deputy Director for Intelligence Capability Requirements, Office of the Deputy DNI for Customer Outcomes
- Ronald Rice - Assistant Deputy Director for Customer Support, Office of the Deputy DNI for Analysis
- Mark Roth - Assistant Deputy Director for the National Intelligence Priorities Framework, Office of the Deputy DNI for Customer Outcomes
- Michael Wertheimer - Assistant Deputy Director and Chief Technology Officer, Office of the Deputy DNI for Analysis
- Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004
- Sen. Feinstein proposes a new Director of National Intelligence
- U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein - Democratic Homeland Security Bill Includes Feinstein Provision to Create Director of National Intelligence
- CIA chief: New intelligence czar unnecessary
- Challenges await new spy chief
- The National Security Archive: From Director of Central Intelligence to Director of National Intelligence