Unified Combatant Command
A Unified Combatant Command is composed of forces from two or more services, has a broad and continuing mission, and is organized either on a geographical basis (known as "Area Of Responsibility", AOR) or on a functional basis.
The chain of command runs from the President to the Secretary of Defense to the Combatant Commanders of the Unified Combatant Commands. The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff may transmit communications to the Commanders of the Unified Combatant Commands from the President and Secretary of Defense, but does not exercise military command over any combatant forces.
List of Unified Combatant Commands
- United States Central Command - USCENTCOM
- United States European Command - USEUCOM
- United States Pacific Command - USPACOM
- United States Northern Command - USNORTHCOM
- United States Southern Command - USSOUTHCOM
- United States Joint Forces Command - USJFCOM
- United States Special Operations Command - USSOCOM
- United States Strategic Command - USSTRATCOM
- United States Transportation Command - USTRANSCOM