Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
|Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation|
|Members, 109th Congress|
About the Committee
According to its website, the Committee
is composed of 22 Senators and led by Committee Chairman Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) and Co-Chairman Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii), who assumed their positions in January 2005. Under their leadership, the Committee is composed of 10 Subcommittees, which together oversee for the vast range of issues under its jurisdiction. These issues range from communications, highways, aviation, rail, shipping, transportation security, merchant marine, the Coast Guard, oceans, fisheries, climate change, disasters, science, space, interstate commerce, tourism, consumer issues, economic development, technology, competitiveness, product safety, and insurance.
Again from the Committee's website, the Committee is responsible for "all proposed legislation, messages, petitions, memorials, and other matters" dealing with the following:
- Coast Guard.
- Coastal zone management.
- Highway safety.
- Inland waterways, except construction.
- Interstate commerce.
- Marine and ocean navigation, safety, and transportation, including navigational aspects of deepwater ports.
- Marine fisheries.
- Merchant marine and navigation.
- Nonmilitary aeronautical and space sciences.
- Oceans, weather, and atmospheric activities.
- Panama Canal and interoceanic canals generally, except as provided in subparagraph (c).
- Regulation of consumer products and services, including testing related to toxic substances, other than pesticides, and except for credit, financial services, and housing.
- Regulation of interstate common carriers, including railroads, buses, trucks, vessels, pipelines, and civil aviation.
- Science, engineering, and technology research and development and policy.
- Standards and measurement.
- Transportation and commerce aspects of Outer Continental Shelf lands.
Chapter 25 of the Senate Rules defines the jurisdiction of the standing committees of the Senate. Section (f) pertains to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation.
Committee Contact Information
Public Information Office: 202-224-5115
Full Committee Office – Majority: 202-224-1251
Full Committee Office – Minority: 202-224-0411
Press Office – Majority: 202-224-3991 or 202-224-8456
Press Office – Minority: 202-224-4546
- November 16th at 10:00 AM: The Reauthorization of the Pipeline Safety Program
(The hearings schedule and record may be found here
To be added!
|Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation Subcommittees:|
Aviation • Surface Transportation & Merchant Marine • Science & Space • Fisheries & Coast Guard • Trade, Tourism, & Economic Development • Technology, Innovation, & Competitiveness • Consumer Affairs, Product Safety, & Insurance • Global Climate Change • Disaster Prevention & Prediction • National Ocean Policy Study