She was elected Governor in 2006 by first defeating the incumbent Governor, Frank Murkowski in the primary, then fending off former Governor Tony Knowles in the general election. Palin was a candidate for Lt. Gov. in 2002. She is the former mayor of Wasilla (population 9000) and the former Chairman of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission. Wasilla is a sprawling exurb of Anchorage, and had only 100 people before 1960.
Palin was born in 1964. She and her husband Todd have five children. The youngest, born in 2008, has Down's syndrome. Her oldest son, Track, enlisted in the U.S. Army.
- Staunchly opposed to abortion; would make it illegal even in cases of rape.
- Supports teaching creationism in public schools.
- Supports drilling for oil offshore and in the ANWR, and lies about it .
- Doesn't believe in global warming or that polar bears should be protected.
- Palin has been accused of putting pressure on the State Police to fire an officer who is her sister's estranged ex-husband. (Source: [Man who made controversial call on leave http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/082008/sta_320846456.shtml], by Steve Quinn, Juneau Empire, August 20, 2008) She was involved in the firing . She was almost recalled as a result .
- Put a $150 bounty on wolves hunted from airplanes.