Royal Kunia, "was conceived by Herbert Horita in 1988 as a two-phase, master-planned development of 4,000 homes. In 1992, after financing and permitting delays, Horita sold a 50 percent stake to Castle & Cooke, which became general partner of the 1,900-unit first phase. Horita maintains control of the unbuilt second phase." The Royal Kunia is located in central Oahu. 
"Royal Kunia's second phase broke ground in 1994, but construction came to a halt when Horita's Halekua Development ran into financial difficulties. In April 2003, Halekua filed for bankruptcy protection with debts of more than $40 million." 
"Royal Kunia's first phase, which includes about 1,900 homes and a commercial center, was built by a partnership led by Castle & Cooke Hawaii, which invested in the venture after Horita encountered financing and permitting delays." 
- Gomes, Andrew. Developer seeks to add homes at Royal Kunia Honolulu Advertiser, July 31, 2001.
- Land sale key to next phase of Royal Kunia Honolulu Advertiser, August 4, 2006.
- Daysog, Rick. Horita's bid wins Kunia contract Honolulu Advertiser, August 29, 2006.
- Wu, Nina. Royal Kunia Phase II gets financing -- Almost $100 million will help Herbert Horita build 2,000 units overlooking Pearl Harbor Honolulu Star-Bulletin, March 15, 2007.
- Pang, Gordon Y.K. Hawaii Royal Kunia II project starting in '08 Honolulu Star-Bulletin, November 26, 2007.
- Royal Kunia's two golf courses
- Ishikawa, Scott. Kunia golf course may open in December Honolulu Advertiser, June 7, 2001.
- Kwon, Bill. Royal Kunia's future still up in air as time drags on Honolulu Advertiser, July 11, 2002.
- Gomes, Andrew. Tee'd off Honolulu Advertiser, May 1, 2005.
- Gomes, Andrew. More Kunia homes sought Honolulu Advertiser, August 13, 2005.
- Royal Kunia Elementary School
- Ishikawa, Scott. Building of school faces new roadblock Honolulu Advertiser, June 30, 2002.
- Central Oahu Sustainable Communities Plan
- Ishikawa, Scott. Central O'ahu growth plan to get last input Honolulu Advertiser, February 25, 2002.