Punaluu, Hawaii island
Punalu'u a town located on the southeastern coast of the island of Hawai'i.
In a September 15, 2006 Honolulu Star-Bulletin article, Nina Wu reported on a new resort plan for Punalu'u:
- Famed ocean explorer and environmentalist Jean-Michel Cousteau is lending his name and expertise to a 434-acre Punaluu resort proposed for the Big Island.
- Sea Mountain Five LLC announced yesterday it has formed a partnership with Cousteau's nonprofit group, Ocean Futures Society, in developing a resort that is to include an eco-hotel, renovated golf course and up to 1,500 resort homes and condominiums.
- The resort--which has no name yet--will be designed in the style of a historical plantation town and offer a marine conservation center, along with retail and commercial areas. 
In a September 20, 2007 Honolulu Star-Bulletin article, Rod Thompson reported:
- The Hawaii County Council, in a 5-4 vote yesterday, approved seeking the purchase of 150 acres at the Punaluu black-sand beach on the Big Island, casting a cloud over a proposal to build a 350-room resort and 1,050 housing units.
- The council passed a resolution "authorizing" the administration of Mayor Harry Kim to negotiate the purchase of the shoreline and land extending back 2,000 feet from the beach.
- The resolution does not call for legal condemnation of the land, and Sea Mountain Five LLC managing partner Pat Blew said his company is not willing to give up the land voluntarily. 
- Wu, Nina. Cousteau signs on to Big Island development -- The ocean explorer's group will assist in a new Punaluu resort Honolulu Star-Bulletin, September 15, 2006.
- Thompson, Rod. Planned resort divides Big Isle community Honolulu Star-Bulletin, September 28, 2006.
- Wu, Nina. Cousteau’s involvement with resort does not appease activists Honolulu Star-Bulletin, September 16, 2006.
- Associated Press. Big Island project falls into rift over Cousteau name Honolulu Star-Bulletin, October 25, 2006.
- McNarie, Alan D. Punalu'u's Dueling Visions Hawai'i Island Journal, November 4, 2006.
- Self, Ron. COMMENTARY: Big Island needs a development timeout Honolulu Advertiser, November 28, 2006.
- Schnepf, Alan. Ka'u preservationists have ally -- Gov. Lingle supports government purchase of much of Punaluu area Hawaii Tribune-Herald, January 13, 2007.
- Thompson, Rod. Proposed Punaluu resort downsized Honolulu Star-Bulletin, April 9, 2007.
- Thompson, Rod. Downsize Big Isle project, says report Honolulu Star-Bulletin, September 18, 2007.
- Thompson, Rod. Council moves to block Kau hotel project -- Authorizing Mayor Kim to buy the land could bring a smaller project Honolulu Star-Bulletin, September 20, 2007.
- Nichols, Katherine. Punaluu Passion Honolulu Star-Bulletin, March 3, 2008.
- Kau Preservation