Progress & Freedom Foundation
The Progress & Freedom Foundation (PFF) is a think tank originally associated with Newt Gingrich. Although Gingrich always maintained that there was no formal relationship, the PFF was, during Gingrich's rise to and service in the Speakership, headed by Jeffrey Eisenach, who had previously been Executive Director of GOPAC, a PAC Gingrich then headed.
During the House Ethics Committee investigation of Gingrich, it was revealed that more than 80% of PFF's first year expenses went to two programs designed to give Gingrich national television exposure, most infamously, his course entitled "Renewing American Civilization," on which PFF spent $291,536. -- "Think Tank Spent Most First-Year Money on Gingrich's Projects," David Morris, Associated Press. Feb. 17, 1995.
According to Media Transparency, PFF received $255,000 between 1993 and 1995 from the following organizations:
According to Common Cause's February 1995 report "The X Files: Speaker Newt Gignrich's Financial Empire," PFF received contributions in undisclosed (unless noted) amounts from the following individuals, corporations and organizations:
- Neal Allen, Invesco Captial Management
- Mr/Mrs. K. Tucker Andersen, Cumberland Assoc.
- The Associated Group (insurance)
- Burroughs Wellcome
- Competitive Long Distance Coalition
- Cox Cable Communications
- Cracker Barrel
- Employment Policies Institute
- Federal Express
- Ford Motor Company
- General Instrument
- Georgia Power/Southern Co.
- Glaxo Inc.
- Golden Rule Insurance
- Frank J. Hanna III, HBR Capital/Nationwide Credit
- Johnson & Johnson/Direct Access ($30,000)
- Mortgage Insurance Companies of America
- Northwestern National Life
- Pro Staff Personnel Services
- Owen J. Roberts, Capital Formation
- SCANA Corp.
- Scientific Atlanta
- Joseph E. Seagrams & Sons
- Siemens Corp.
- Solvay Pharmaceuticals ($30,000)
- Stanton L. Triester, Triester Group
- Turner Broadcasting System
- Waffle House International
- Robert Weingarten, First Capital Holdings
- Thomas Weisel, Montgomery Securities
- Windway Capital/Terry & Mary Kohler