Paul Hackett is an Iraq War veteran and Democrat who was defeated by Republican Jean Schmidt in an election for representative in Ohio's second Congressional district. That election was held on August 5, 2005. Hackett has served in the Marines and in the United States Select Marine Corps Reserve; he was the original Fighting Dem. By profession, Hackett is a lawyer and works in his own law firm, Hackett Law Offices, in Cincinnati.
The final election count showed Schmidt with 52% of the votes and Hackett with 48%.
Hackett formerly served on the city council of Milford, Ohio, a suburb of Cincinnati.
On July 26, 2005, The Cincinnati Post endorsed  Paul Hackett, saying:
- Hackett, in our view, is a gust of fresh air. If we had to put a label on him, it would be Libertarian Democrat. He says what he thinks and doesn't seem to have much use for the orthodoxy, or the partisanship, of either party. He doesn't want the government telling him what kinds of guns he can own, nor does he want it interfering in family or medical decisions or taking away civil liberties in the name of fighting terror. He regards Social Security more as an insurance program than a retirement savings plan, but wants to put it on a sound footing and would raise the earnings ceiling if necessary to do so.
On July 26, 2005, the Ohio-2 Blog reported that The Dayton Daily News also endorsed Paul Hackett, saying:
- After all, Jean Schmidt would be a respectable member of Congress. She's an energetic person with some background.
However, for a voter looking for something beyond a conventional political background, Paul Hackett is a welcome alternative. In an era when partisan fervor is a national scourge, a candidate who is likely to show some independence looks especially good. And he has generally sound positions on the issues.
He was the better choice for the 2nd District.
CNN Coverage of Hackett Campaign
CNN's "Inside the Blogs" segment of Inside Politics covered online efforts to assist the Hackett campaign on July 26, 2005. Daily Kos contributor Al Rodgers provided video of the CNN coverage.
- Paul Hackett on ActBlue
Related Daily Kos Diaries
- OH-2: The Commercial, The Poll, "Swift Boating" & the Pivot (ttagaris)
- OH-2 Republican Candidate goes Batshit on Vid (BigDog04)
- OH-2: Five Points & $285,000 GOP Ad Buy (ttagaris)
- OH-2: Swift-Boating of Hackett Kicks into High Gear (ttagaris)
- OH-2: Paul Hackett Thanks Netroots (Video) (ttagaris)
- Cincy Post Endorses Hackett (DavidNYC)
- No More Swift Boating (DavidNYC)
- Huge Break in OH-2 - Cincy Post Endorses Hackett (privatewl)
- Swift-Boating of Hackett Begins Online (ttagaris)
- Video from Saturday Canvas (ttagaris)
- Saturday's Mass Canvas (ttagaris)
- Showdown on Main Street (ttagaris)
- SHOCK! Hackett Takes Fundraising Lead (ttagaris)
- Grassroots-Produced Commercial Running (ttagaris)
- OH-02: First Paul Hackett Commercial (ignatz)
- What a Difference a Day Makes (ttagaris)