|U.S. Senior Senator, Washington|
| Assumed office (class 3) |
January 5, 1993
|Preceded by||Brock Adams|
|Born||October 11, 1950|
Patty Murray is the Senior Senator for Washington.
In the 80's, when a politician told Patty Murray that she "couldn't make a difference because she was just a mom in tennis shoes", she responded by gathering a coalition of 13,000 parents to save funding for a local preschool. Fresh off of this success, Murray ran for the local school board, and won. In 1988, she won a seat in the Washington State Senate. In 1992, Murray was among the few Democrats to challenge then-US senator Brock Adams over allegations of sexual misconduct. Rather than face her in a primary challenge, Adams resigned, and Murray was elected in 1992, the Year of the Woman. In 1998, Murray was only the third female senator to face a female opponent. The Republicans boasted proudly and loudly that far-right Linda Smith would claim victory. Instead, Murray stomped her competition with a whopping 58-42 win, a victory so surprising that Murray not only defeated Smith, but also killed Smith's entire political career.
Murray chaired the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee in the 2001-2002 cycle. Murray was one of 21 senators to vote against the Iraq war in 2002. Later that year she faced an ugly controversy due to remarks she made about Osama Bin Laden.
Sen. Murray defeated Republican opponent George Nethercutt in 2004, taking 53% of the votes compared to Nethercutt's 43%. Nethercutt was previously a representative from Washington's 5th Congressional district.
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agecies, Chairman
- Subcommittee on Defense
- Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development
- Subcommittee on Financial Services and General Government
- Subcommittee on Homeland Security
- Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies
- Subcommittee on Military Construction and Veterans' Affairs, and Related Agencies
- Senate Committee on Budget
- Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
- Subcommittee on Employment and Workplace Safety, Chairman
- Subcommittee on Children and Families
- Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs
- Senate Committee on Rules and Administration
- Joint Committee on Printing
- Patty Murray on Wikipedia
- MURRAY, Patty from Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-Present
- Campaign Site
- Executive Branch
- Judicial Branch
- Legislative Branch
Counties: Adams | Asotin | Benton | Chelan | Clallam | Clark | Columbia | Cowlitz | Douglas | Ferry | Franklin | Garfield | Grant | Grays Harbor | Island | Jefferson | King | Kitsap | Kittitas | Klickitat | Lewis | Lincoln | Mason | Okanogan | Pacific | Pend Oreille | Pierce | San Juan | Skagit | Skamania | Snohomish | Spokane | Stevens | Thurston | Wahkiakum | Walla Walla | Whatcom | Whitman | Yakima