Just Plain Lying
According to an AP story from yesterday, the Oregon Republican Party is trying to force Multnomah county (where Portland is) to set aside the ballot of every new voter that hasn't shown identification.
So once again we have Republicans trying to scare everyone by raising the spectre of voting fraud while completely ignoring the fact that the federal law does not require Oregon vote-by-mail voters to provide identification.
RNC TIED TO MULTI-STATE REGISTRATION FRAUD
First we get news out of a local Las Vegas news affiliate from CBS that an outfit called Voters' Outreach of America is caught trashing voter registration forms filled out by people trying to register to vote as Democrats. But while running down this outfit, they skipped town on their office space rent, and moved out of state (Nevada), and the CBS affiliate indicates that they might have moved their operation to Oregon. Already one of the disenfranchised has been found, Daren Gray.
We also learn not too long ago, that Sproul & Associates, which is based out of AZ, was misrepresenting itself as being under contract with the legitimate nonpartisan group America Votes, while trying to get permission to do voter registration sign-ups in Southern Oregon libraries. A sharp librarian down in Medford double-checks with America Votes, and finds out that the Sproul group which had sent a letter to the public library seeking the permission, are not under contract or affiliated with the non-partisan group America Votes. It should also be noted that because of this, some confusion is circulating in the news media and conflating America Votes with the shady Sproul outfit.<p> We now know that Sproul & Associates is a directly funded RNC consultancy firm. <p> Then we learn that a "traveling team" hired signature gatherer is caught in downtown Portland's Pioneer Square, the night before Edwards is planned to hold a debate watching rally, refusing to register Democrats, and admits to throwing out forms filled out by people registering as such.<p> This person also admits that the "traveling team" he is with was recently doing registration drives in Nevada. We still don't know if this "traveling team" is connected with either Voters' Outreach of America or not. This has led Oregon Sec. of State Bill Bradbury and Attorney General Hardy Myers to tell news outlets late this evneing that they plan to investigate. Bradbury telling the local news outlet KGW that they are investigating this serious matter, and he appeared to be more than a little pissed to see this sort of fraud taking place. Now it seems the story is being picked up by the AP.<p> We now find in a past story from The American Prospect that Voters' Outreach of America IS in fact connected with, and was under contract by Sproul and Associates which we know is directly funded by the RNC from FEC records at opensecrets.org. Voters' Outreach of America were under contract by Sproul to do signature gathering in AZ for petition gathering for "No Taxpayer Money For Politicians" petition AND to get Ralph Nader on the ballot in AZ (where he was eventually knocked off the ballot for fraudulent petition signatures). The relevant TAP article passage which shows the contractual connection between Voters' Outreach of America and Sproul & Associates, who are directly funded by the RNC:
Oregon's attorney general has opened a criminal probe. The GOP can't help but blame someone else.
- 10/14/04 Oregon Opens Criminal Probe in Voter Fraud Case
- 10/13/04 RNC tied to multi-state fraud
- 10/13/04 Oregon Secretary of State reveals registration forms destroyed
- 10/13/04 The smoking gun on voter registration fraud - Nathan Sproul
- NY Times 18 Oct. 2004 Allegations of Electoral Crimes
- Associated Press: An AP story from Oct. 11, 2004 and the original (and better) in the "Oregonian" on the 10th on Sproul & Associates paying canvassers in Oregon by the signature, which leads some Oregonian officials to suspect fraud in order to make money. Suggests similar things happening in Michigan and Ohio.
- Daily Vanguard: From Portland State University's paper. Paid canvassers have been on campus collecting signatures for a faux ballot measure, then asking signers to partially fill out voter registration forms as "confirmation". In this way, they tricked students into registering Republican. At least one worker admitted that they were being paid by the card, for Republican cards only.
- Jackson County Library: Email Regarding America Votes: email record re: Sproul in Orgenon
- KGW (TV station for Oregon and SW Washington): Bradbury investigates possible voter fraud in Portland Oregon Secretary of State Bill Bradbury and Attorney General Hardy Myers plan to investigate allegations that a paid canvasser might have destroyed voter registration forms.
- Los Angeles Times: GOP Consulting Firm Investigated for Voter Fraud Claims Oregon's attorney general opened a criminal investigation Wednesday into allegations that Democratic voter registration forms were destroyed or discarded by a political consulting firm working for the Republican National Committee.
- PSU Mail Tribune: Another primary source, the "Mail Tribune" story on local libraries uncovering Sproul's group claiming to be from America Votes. Includes reaction from America Votes. Local reporter. Love this, "We were not trying to copy their name," said Nathan Sproul, owner of the consulting and management company. "All we were trying to do is register people to vote." The story also mentions "Libraries in Multnomah, Corvallis/Benton, West Slope and Washington counties also had been contacted, said O’Flaherty." **Oregon Library case re: Sproul and associates America Votes says "No way is Sproul connected to our organization!" (Points to same Mail Tribune article as above.)
- RedTail Canyon: Redtail Canyon Story
[http://www.tdn.com/articles/2004/10/15/oregon/news01.txt By Associated Press Oct 15, 2004] Police fire pepper shot to break up Bush protest
-Cope 12:04, 22 Oct 2004 (PDT)
Useful Background Information
America Votes v. fake America Votes (Sproul): Sproul & Associates runs an imposter organization called America Votes, not to be confused with the real America Votes. Sproul has committed a lot of fraud.
Sproul v. Voters' Outreach of America: According to The American Prospect, Sproul had Voters' Outreach of America under contract in AZ to gather signatures to get Nader on the ballot in AZ and a petition for "No Taxpayer Money For Politicians".
Voter Registration Deadline:: Voter registration deadline of Oct 12th, 2004 has elapsed. Ballots are mailed out Friday, October 15.
Making sure the information is collected and here is the first priority, we can get it organized and cleaned up later. To make it easier, please list the source of the article alphabetically, then the description with link.Voter Registration Fraud Clearinghouse