Neil Abercrombie, a member of the Democratic Party, is a former Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives, representing Hawaii's 1st congressional district from 1991 until his resignation to run for Governor of Hawaii on February 28, 2010. On September 18, 2010, Abercrombie won the Hawaii democratic gubernatorial nomination by a margin of 60 to 38 percent. Abercrombie defeated 'Duke' Aiona by 17 percentage points in the general election on November 2, 2010.
Abercrombie first ran for public office in 1970, unsuccessfully vying for a seat in the United States Senate. Abercrombie ran and was elected to the Hawaii State House of Representatives serving two terms from 1975 to 1979. Abercrombie then won election to the Hawaii State Senate where he served from 1979 to 1986. When Cecil Heftel resigned from the United States Congress in July 1986 to run for Governor of Hawaii, Abercrombie entered the race for the Democratic nomination to replace Heftel, he was then elected to the US Congress in the following special election. He served from September 20, 1986 to January 3, 1987 but was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1986. Abercrombie went on to win a seat on the Honolulu City Council serving from 1988 to 1990. Abercrombie again ran for Congress in 1990 and has since been reelected to his House seat. Abercrombie resigned his House seat to run for Governor of Hawaii on February 28, 2010.
Neil Abercrombie and Richard Hoyt co-authored Blood of Patriots, a work of fiction focusing on the role of money in electoral politics. 
Neil Abercrombie is married to Dr. Nancie Caraway, an author and educator.
- OpenCongress - Rep. Neil Abercrombie (OpenCongress
- ABERCROMBIE, Neil (Biographical Directory of the United States Congress)
- Rep. Neil Abercrombie (Wikipedia)
- Neil Abercrombie On the Issues (On the Issues)
- GovTrack: Neil Abercrombie
2004 Congressional election
- Tanonaka Enters Race to Oust Avercrombie, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, June 3, 2004.
- House cracks down on illegal immigrants -- Hawaii's representatives split on a measure that would limit driver's licenses Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 2-11-05.
- Thompson, Rod. Isles’ reps split on change to nature law -- The Endangered Species Act changes ,drop critical habitat By Rod Thompson, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 9-30-05.
- Reform will strengthen endangered species act, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 10-11-05.
- Borreca, Richard. He coulda been a contender, but will he be?, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 10-16-05.
- Borreca, Richard. Abercrombie decides not to challenge Lingle -- The congressman says he would like Harry Kim to run, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 11-1-05.
- Borreca, Richard.Abercrombie wants to shutter agency handling Kakaako plans -- The U.S. Rep. wants the state planning agency, the Hawaii Community Development Authority, scrapped. Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 22-15-05.
- Borreca, Richard.Isle congressmen split on Iraq strategy, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 12-1-05.
- Camire, Dennis. Hawai'i lawmakers critical of budget, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 2-7-06.
- Kakesako, Greg. Isle delegation stays Democrat -- Hirono, Akaka and Abercrombie prepare to take a united voice to Washington, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, November 8, 2006.
- Borreca, Richard. Shift in Congress should boost Hawaii -- Three of the state's four lawmakers will hold important posts, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, January 7, 2007.
- Borreca, Richard. Abercrombie assails 'crazy' Bush plan Honolulu Star-Bulletin, January 12, 2007.
- Abercrombie, Neil. Abercrombie Fights War Profiteering Maui Democrats, February 11, 2007.
- Jones, Bob. Bet On It: Neil Runs For Governor Midweek, July 25, 2007.
- Borreca, Richard. Abercrombie thinks Obama campaign finally getting message, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, May 7, 2008.
- Borreca, Richard. Both isle incumbents easily win re-election, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, November 5, 2008.
2010 gubernatorial election
- DePledge, Derrick. Abercrombie takes all but 4 of 51 districts -- The ex-congressman loses Kauai but is able to dominate Oahu and beat Hannemann, Star-Advertiser, September 22, 2010.
- Shapiro, David. Abercrombie's passion, energy and focus aid in election victory, Star-Advertiser, September 22, 2010.
- DePledge, Derrick. Abercrombie wins all but 1 district, Star-Advertiser, November 4, 2010.
Transition to Governor's office
- Awaiting Abercrombie's Day 1, Star-Advertiser, November 4, 2010.
- Abercrombie names Asselbaye, Aoki to top administration positions, Pacific Business News, November 6, 2010.
- Butts, David. Isle business leaders size up Abercrombie -- They give him good marks but will keep watch on his pledge to hold down taxes, Star-Advertiser, November 7, 2010.
- DePledge, Derrick. Abercrombie to weigh rail EIS -- The environmental review does not hinge on a financial report, the governor-elect says, Star-Advertiser, November 8, 2010.
- Staff and News services. Abercrombie takes oath to become Hawaii's 7th governor, Star-Advertiser, December 6, 2010.
- Abercrombie, Neil. Gov. Abercrombie issues inaugural message, Star-Advertiser, December 6, 2010.
- Reyes, B.J. Okimoto, Wong named to Abercrombie Cabinet, Star-Advertiser, December 16, 2010.
- Associated Press. Abercrombie names state agency directors, Star-Advertiser, January 11, 2011.
- Chris Mikesell and Derrick Depledge. Ex-priest named state homeless czar -- Abercrombie cites shared beliefs in choosing Marc Alexander, Star-Advertiser, January 21, 2011.