Nancy Pelosi is the Democratic Representative for the Eighth U.S. Congressional District of California. She is the current Speaker of the House and the first woman in history to hold that postion. This title also means that she also occupys the highest office a woman has ever been elected to in U.S. history.
Pelosi was elected in the fall of 2002 as Minority Leader of the House of Representatives. Nancy Pelosi is the first woman in American history to lead a major party in the U.S. Congress. Before being elected Leader, she served as House Democratic Whip for one year and was responsible for the party's legislative strategy in the House.
On October 5, 2006, Pelosi made a promise to the American people. If they give the Democratic Party legislative majorities in Congress, Democrats will, "turn the most closed and corrupt Congress into the most open and honest Congress. The only way you can make the change that needs to be made for our country - a new direction where we're there for the many and not the few - is to drain the swamp." Source: Liz Sidoti. "Rep. Pelosi Promises Integrity, Civility." Associated Press. October 5, 2006. Las Vegas Sun
Dave Lindorff accuses Pelosi of "unconscionable strong-arm tactics to keep impeachment 'off the table' in the 110th Congress" and of silencing House Judiciary Committee Chair John Conyers on the question.
Pelosi was born Nancy D'Alesandro on March 26, 1940 in Baltimore, Maryland to Italian-American parents. Her father, Thomas D'Alesandro, Jr., served as both a U.S. Representative from Maryland and as Mayor of Baltimore.
- A.B., Trinity College, 1962
- chair, California State Democratic Party, 1981-1983
- finance chairman, Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, 1985-1986
- elected as a Democrat to the One Hundredth Congress, by special election, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of United States Representative Sala Burton, and reelected to eleven succeeding Congresses (June 2, 1987-present)
- minority whip (107th United States Congress);
- minority leader (108th and 109th Congress)
- Speaker of the House (110th United States Congress). 
Pelosi in Quotes
- "The Republicans are not constrained by decency, money, or truth, so anything can happen. I'm pretty serene about what we have in place." "Grandma Pelosi puts elections on the back burner." USA TODAY. October 30, 2006.
- Pelosi was the only candidate for Speaker of the House in recent memory to actually cast a vote for (him- or) herself. By tradition, the candidates themselves abstain from voting, or vote "Present"
- Daughter Alexandra Pelosi works for NBC and made the documentary Travels with George, following George W. Bush on the 2000 campaign trail
- Another daughter, Christine Pelosi, is Chief of Staff to Rep. John Tierney (D-MA), and has in the past been romantically linked to Rep. Max Sandlin (D-TX)
- Pelosi is an honorary board member of the National Organization of Italian American Women.
- "Grandma" became her nickname when Speaker Pelosi came to DC and started to regin in the madness of "Boy" George.
Washington DC Office
2371 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-4965
San Francisco Office
450 Golden Gate Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone: (415) 556-4862
- Rep.Nancy Pelosi House website bio page
- PELOSI, Nancy (from Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-Present)
- SpeakerPelosi.com (campaign website for Pelosi and the DCCC)
- Rep. Nancy Pelosi On the Issues
- OpenSecrets.org: Career Profile of Rep. Nancy Pelosi
- OpenCongress.org: Rep. Nancy Pelosi
- Progressive Punch: Rep. Nancy Pelosi
- Project Vote Smart: Interest Group Ratings of Rep. Nancy Pelosi
- Washington Post Votes Database: Rep. Nancy Pelosi