Democrat Bill Owens defeats Conservative candidate Doug Hoffman in a November 3, 2009 special election to replace Republican John McHugh (hw) who resigned in 2009 to become the US Secretary of the Army in the Obama administration.
The original Republican challenger Dede Scozzafava dropped out of the race after Rush Limbaugh, Sarah Palin, Michelle Malkin, Dick Armey, Tim Pawlenty, etc. endorsed Conservative candidate Doug Hoffman resulting in a decline in her polling numbers.
2009 special election
- Bill Owens (D) 62,662 49.2%
- Doug Hoffman (C) 57,572 45.2%
- Dede Scozzafava (R) 7,041 5.5%
- John McHugh (R): 143,029 65%
- Oot (D): 75,871 35%
2006 election cycle
2004 election cycle
- John M. McHugh (R): 147,573, 71%
- Robert J. Johnson (D): 60,124, 29%