Missouri U.S. Senate election, 2006
James Talent (R)
- Senator: James Talent
- State: MO
- Age in '06: 50
- Prognosis: Leans GOP- All about who the Dem. nominee will be (04/05)
- McCaskill won 50-47%
Unsuccessful Primary Candidates:
- Scott Babbitt (R) - '02 Candidate
- Roxie Fausnaught (R)
- Isaiah Hair Jr. (R)
- Joyce Lea (R)
- Mikhail Tsukerman (D)
- Bill Clinton Young (D)
- Frank Gilmour (Libertarian)
- Filing Deadline (D/R/Libertarian): March 28, 2006
- Filing Deadline (Other Parties & Independents): August 22, 2006
- Primary: August 8, 2006
- 2002: 50%/49% over Jean Carnahan (D) (incumbent)
Missouri Presidential election Results
- 2004: Bush 54 / Kerry 46
- 2000: Bush 51 / Gore 47
Talent snuck by Jean Carnahan in the '02 special election. A strong Democratic challenger could be able to unseat him, but the Missouri GOP has been surging since 2001. With Bush's and Mike Blunt's approval ratings slipping, 2004 candidate Claire McCaskill stands a very good chance of unseating Talent in this election.
- Lieg, David A. Stem-cell initiative creates a rift in Missouri's GOP Sun-Sentinel, March 11, 2006.
- McCaskill for Missouri STLtoday.com, October 22, 2006.
- Hananel, Sam. Talent, McCaskill on national security issues Daily Journal Online, October 22, 2006.
- Ganey, Terry. Missouri race catches nation’s eye -- No holds barred as Talent, McCaskill grapple for hearts, minds, votes. Columbia Tribune, October 22, 2006.
- Goldstein, David and Kraske, Steve. Talent sharpens attacks -- As Election Day approaches, the incumbent’s criticisms of McCaskill grow more personal. Kansas City Star, October 22, 2006.
- McCaskill links Talent to Washington, Bush -- Makes campaign stops Wednesday Belleville News-Democrat, November 2, 2006.
- Missouri Senate: The Nation’s Closest Senate Race -- McCaskill (D) 47% Talent (R) 46% Rasmussen Reports, November 2, 2006.
Christopher "Kit" Bond (R)
- Sen. Christopher Bond (R)
- Next Election in 2010.