- Mitt Romney (R) - Incumbent governor is retiring from Massachusetts governorship in 2006.
- Deval Patrick (D) (cw) - former US Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights.
- Kerry Healey (R) (cw) - Massachusetts Lieutenant Governor amd former MA GOP Chair. Endorsed by Gov. Mitt Romney.
- Christy Mihos (I) - Businessman and former State Turnpike Authority Board Member. His family founded the Christy's convenience store chain.
- Grace Ross (Green)
General election results
*Patrick 1,230,065 56%
*Healey 779,807 35%
*Mihos 161,012 7%
*Ross 43,032 2%
- Wen, Patricia. In break from Romney, Healey raps gay adoption exclusion -- Candidate says agencies cannot discriminate Boston.com, March 3, 2006)
- Helman, Scott. For Reilly, victory may be incomplete -- Legal win could be political loss in gubernatorial race Boston.com, March 31, 2006.
- Poll shows Patrick pulling ahead of Reilly Boston Globe, June 27, 2006.
- Associated press. Gabrieli proposes legal casino gambling for property tax relief The Boston Globe, August 1, 2006.
- LeBlanc, Steve. Reilly hopes hard work, moderate pitch lifts him to governor Boston Globe, August 12, 2006.
- Phillips, Frank. Patrick roars to nomination -- Declares a change in Bay State politics; Healey launches attack The Boston Globe, September 20, 2006.