Kona Kai Ola
Kona Kai Ola is a planned project that would be built on 350 acres of state land under jurisdiction of the Hawaii State Department of Land and Natural Resources, (DLNR) and about 200 acres of Department of Hawaiian Home Lands, (DHHL) acreage near Honokohau on the Kona side of the Big Island.
The Hawaii State Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) selected Atlanta-based Jacoby Development Inc. as the developer in 2004, but is not expected to actually sign a lease with Jacoby for the 350 acres of state land until 2007.
- 45-acre, 800-slip marina out of a North Kona lava field
- build two miles of road to ease Kailua traffic congestion
- construction of 500 to 1,000 affordable "workforce" housing units.
- 1,800 timeshare units and three hotels with a combined total of 670 to 770 hotel rooms.
- Hawaiian cultural center
- commercial center
- marine science center
- marine parks
- diving facility.
- 42-acre shoreline park.
Construction could possibly start in 2008. Completion would take a dozen years.
- Jacoby Development
- Department of Land and Natural Resources State of Hawaii.
- Department of Hawaiian Home Lands State of Hawaii.
- Viotti, Vicki. Home Lands leases 200 acres for Kona project Honolulu Advertiser, February 6, 2004.
- Bernardo, Rosemarie. Big Isle land lease to fund homesteads Honolulu Star-Bulletin, February 6, 2006.
- Honokohau resort developer picked Honolulu Advertiser, October 9, 2004.
- Dayton, Kevin. 45-acre marina may be built in Kona lava field Honolulu Advertiser, July 12, 2006.
- Wu, Nina. Developer to give update on 500-acre Kona project Honolulu Star-Bulletin, July 13, 2006.
- Dawson, Teresa. Developer Hopes to Race Through Environmental, Land Board Reviews Environment Hawaii, September 2006.
- Command, Bobby. Ford files complaint -- Council candidate says Kona group must register West Hawaii Today, November 3, 2006.
- Stanton, Karin. One rock at a time -- Restoration of the Kaloko Fishpond in Kailua-Kona aims to preserve one of Hawaii's ancient feats of engineering Honolulu Star-Bulletin, November 28, 2006.
- Stanton, Karin. Fishpond's revival launches park Honolulu Advertiser, December 4, 2006.
- Thompson, Rod. Resistance to Kona project grows -- County officials are opposed to state plans for Kona Kai Ola project Honolulu Bulletin, January 3, 2007.
- OUR OPINION: Resort project a poor fit for public lands on Kona coast THE ISSUE: Hawaii County officials are opposed to a 530-acre resort proposed for state land. Honolulu Star-Bulletin, January 6, 2007.
- Thompson, Rod. Kona developer downsizes project -- A final environmental assessment will be released to the public Honolulu Star-Bulletin, September 6, 2007.