|U.S. Senior Senator, North Dakota|
| Assumed office (class 1) |
January 6, 1987
|Preceded by||Jocelyn Burdick|
|Born||March 12, 1948|
Kent Conrad, born March 12, 1948, in Bismarck, North Dakota, is a fifth-generation North Dakotan. Conrad is a U.S Senator from North Dakota since 1986 and member of the Democratic Party. Conrad has announced on January 18, 2011 that he will not seek reelection in 2012.
From Conrad's campaign website bio:
Republicans and Democrats alike recognize Senator Conrad as one of the nation’s leading “deficit hawks.” He is nationally recognized for his leadership in the effort to bring fiscal discipline to the federal budget while protecting and strengthening both Social Security and Medicare. He serves as the ranking member on the Budget Committee.
From his position on the Senate Agriculture Committee, Senator Conrad has influence over agriculture policy. He took the lead in crafting the 2002 Farm Bill, legislation that replaced the disastrous “Freedom to Farm” bill. Senator Conrad played a significant role in writing the 2002 Farm Bill’s country of origin labeling requirement, the pulse crop program and fairer sugar loan rates.
A fighter for North Dakota, Senator Conrad uses his position on the powerful Finance Committee to shape other legislation to benefit North Dakotans. He fights for trade law that is fair to North Dakota farmers and ranchers. He fought for fair Medicare rates for North Dakota’s rural hospitals, health care workers and ambulance squads.
What Conrad Supports
- Importing Canadian Rx
- Smaller classes vs tutors
- 100,000 hyrogen cars by 2010
- Visas for skilled workers
- Welfare block grants
- Banning soft money 
- attended Roosevelt Elementary and Hughes Junior High in Bismarck.
- 1966 graduate of Phillips Exeter Academy
- University of Missouri, Columbia, 1967
- BA, Government/Political Science, Stanford University, 1971
- MBA, George Washington University, 1975
- assistant to the tax commissioner (Byron Dorgan), Bismarck 1974-1980
- elected tax commissioner, State of North Dakota 1981-1986
- elected to the United States Senate in 1986 – the first of four successive elections.
- Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry
- Subcommittee on Marketing Inspection and Production Promotion
- Subcommittee on Production and Price Competitiveness - Ranking Minority Member
- Senate Committee on Budget - Chairman
- Senate Committee on Finance
- Subcommittee on Social Security and Family Policy - Ranking Minority Member
- Subcommittee on Taxation and IRS Oversight
- Subcommittee on International Trade
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
Senator Kent Conrad 530 Hart Senate Office Building United States Senate Washington, DC 20510-3403
Phone: (202) 224-2043 Fax: (202) 224-7776 Online: http://conrad.senate.gov E-mail: http://conrad.senate.gov/webform.html
- Conrad senate website
- Conrad campaign website
- CONRAD, Kent from Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-Present
- Kent Conrad on the Issues (On the Issues)
- Senator Gaylord Kent 'Kent' Conrad (ND) (Project Vote Smart)
- Kent Conrad (RemoveRepublicans.com)
- Kent Conrad (Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee)
- Executive Branch
- Judicial Branch
- Legislative Branch
Counties: Adams, Barnes, Benson, Billings, Bottineau, Bowman, Burke, Burleigh, Cass, Cavalier, Dickey, Divide, Dunn, Eddy, Emmons, Foster, Golden Valley, Grand Forks, Grant, Griggs, Hettinger, Kidder, LaMoure, Logan, McHenry, McIntosh, McKenzie, McLean, Mercer, Morton, Mountrail , Nelson, Oliver, Pembina, Pierce, Ramsey, Ransom, Renville, Richland, Rolette, Sargent, Sheridan, Sioux , Slope, Stark, Steele, Stutsman, Towner, Traill, Walsh, Ward, Wells, Williams