James Matthes Talent was the incumbent conservative Republican Representative and later Senator from Missouri who lost his Senate re-election bid in the 2006 midterm election to democrat Claire McCaskill. Talent was a hawkish supporter of the Republcian War in Iraq.
Talent in Quotes
- "It was not for lack of support and vigor from you. You did a very good job, but the headwind was very stiff this year." Source: Susan Saulny. "McCaskill Claims Narrow Win in Missouri." The New York Times. November 8, 2006.
Talwnt was born on October 18, 1956 in St. Louis, Missouri.
- Law clerk to Judge Richard A. Posner, United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit 1982-1983.
- adjunct professor, Washington University School of Law 1984-1986.
- Missouri State House of Representatives, 1985-1993.
- U.S. House of Representatives, 1993-2001.
- chairman, Committee on Small Business (One Hundred Fifth and One Hundred Sixth Congresses)
- unsuccessful candidate for Missouri Governor in 2000
- elected to the U.S. Senate in the November 4, 2002, special election to the term ending January 3, 2007, a seat previously held by appointed Senator Jean Carnahan, and took office on November 25, 2002.
- Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry
- Subcommittee on Forestry Conservation and Rural Revitalization
- Subcommittee on Marketing Inspection and Production Promotion - Chair
- Senate Special Committee on Aging
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
- Subcommittee on Airland
- Subcommittee on Seapower - Chair
- Subcommittee on Emerging Threats and Capabilities
- Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
- Subcommittee on Energy
- Subcommittee on Public Lands and Forests