Illinois General Assembly
Illinois State Assembly
According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, "Full-Time and Part-Time Legislatures," the Illinois State Assembly is a full or near full time, high-pay, large-staff Professional Legislature. The state legislative electoral map for the Illinois General Assembly is divided into 59 State Senate districts, each divided into two for the Assembly.
- Illinois State Representatives
- 66 Democrats
- 52 Republicans
- Illinois Senators
- 32 Democrats
- 26 Republicans
- 1 Independent
- Speaker of the House: Michael J. Madigan (D 22nd District) Powerful Chicago 13th Ward Committeeman and Chairman of the Democratic Party of Illinois. He is often at odds with Governor Rod Blagojevich and Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley. His Daughter Lisa Madigan is now Illinois Attorney General and considered a rising star in Illinois politics.
- President of the Senate: Emil Jones Jr. (D 14th District) Became Senate President in 2002 when the Senate came under Democrat control.
- Illinois State Senate Elections, 2006
- Illinois State House Elections, 2006