Hurricane Katrina commentary
Hurricane Katrina has generated a storm of criticism about the indifference and ineptitude of the second Bush administration's response. The Hurricane Katrina timeline indicates some deficiencies in FEMA but also in planning and funding processes.
This is a partial summary of the commentary. See also New Orleans, Hurricane Katrina refugee, term:evacuee, climate change, hurricane, emergency response, cronyism, cleanup, and the various positions on these:
- position:climate change caused Hurricane Katrina
- position:FEMA was unprepared for Hurricane Katrina
- position:FEMA was deliberately unprepared for Hurricane Katrina
- Bush Photo Essay of 9/11 & Katrina, Montage of photos illustrating the Bush administration's whereabouts and attitudes during Katrina's landfall and the immediate aftermath, compiled by krazypuppy of texaskaos
- 21 days A(fter) K(atrina) from Gulfport, MS First-hand account by RiMo
- Down and Out in Bay St. Louis First-hand account by lilorphant
- Katrina Aftermath Report from the Front Lines... redtravelmaster's first-hand account
- Katrina Aftermath from the Front Lines, Part II More on the story of redtravelmaster's experience.
- Charmaine Neville's chilling first hand account -- REAL heroism Video and transcript from the harrowing account of this member of the famous Neville family's post-hurricane escape from New Orleans
- The tourists are talking
- Updates from Red Cross Volunteer in Montgomery, AL
- KATRINA survivors shipped off like cattle
- From Hattiesburg, MS on Hurricane Katrina Debacle
- Interviewing Evacuees Who Unknowingly Land in Utah by Stories In America
- Arrest this kid? He deserves a medal!!!
- What Really Happened in New Orleans; Denise Moore's Story
- Hell, Heat, and Heart: Louisiana's Police Under Fire
- Another NO story from the inside
dKos:CategoryKatrina diaries -- A live search of diaries marked with 'CategoryKatrina' in their comments.
- National Response Plan: THE BUCK STOPS HERE.
- Bush's Disastrous Response: A Timeline
- DAMNING Congressional Record: Cries for Help Ignored By The Federal Government
- Lake New Orleans is Bush's Fault & I Can Prove It (Research Material)
- Can FEMA Do Anything Right?
- No pictures of the dead allowed
- House cancels hearings on Katrina response
- Bush's use of firemen: props
- Levee repairs faked for Bush photo-op?
- Al Gore shows true leadership on Katrina
- The GOP agenda in action
- The Republican Skill: Passing the Buck
- Just to give you a sense of just how badly FEMA has f*cked up
- WHAT ELSE WENT WRONG -- by Steve Gregory
- The Clueless-In-Chief
- Senator Mary Landrieu Strikes Back; Says She Might "Punch" Bush
- A Brush with Bush in NO
- Incredible story: Northeast Wisconsin got to New Orleans faster than the Feds!
- Brown's Prior Emergency Services Experience: Assistant City Manager
- Navy Ship, in Gulf at time Katrina hit, complains about being underused
- Enough is Enough
- 'National Response Plan' & Criminal Negligence?
- Baghdad on the Mississippi
- New Orleans paper tells Bush they're tired of lies and photo ops
- The Disaster President
- Kabuki Theatre
- Politicizing A Tragedy: BushCo Fakes Levee Repairs for Photo-Op
- WaPo: "Storm Exposed Disarray at the Top"
- Northern Command Unit READY - BUT WAITED on Bush Orders
- Red Cross NEVER allowed into New Orleans
- Willie Horton - Please Report to New Orleans
- MOBILITY was my middle name -- Air Force Vet livid
- Katrina by the Numbers
- Katrina by the Numbers: Week 2
- Does FEMA WANT the death toll to go higher?
- Irish Trojan Hurrican Katrina Wiki
- Environmental impact and political critique (Quicksilver)
- WWLTV.com's excellent blog of events needs folding into and verification with Hurricane Katrina timeline
- America gets hit with a clue by four.
- If we had a real president.
- The Time That Never Comes
- FEMA, Katrina & Bush
- Speaking of FEMA
- Katrina and the Consequences of Cronyism
- Katrina and Cronyism Continued
- Bush Played Guitar While New Orleans Drowned
- "A White Republican Guy Who Doesn't Get It"
- Drown the Poor
- Hurricane Katrina repair and prevention: What Washington Must Do! 15 common-sense policy suggestions.
- Aaron Broussard on Meet the Press via Crooks and Liars
- Bush gears up too late for Katrina
- Criticism of Bush Mounts Amid Chaos
- For Want of a Nail
- Waiting for the Outside World
- Wake-Up Call
- Where have All the Soldiers Gone?
- Katrina - the Report Card, interview with C. Ray Nagin
- The Post-Hurricane Speech Bush won't deliver
- Bush faces rising complaints about handling of disaster
- Despite Warnings, Washington Failed to Fund Levee Projects and Warnings Went Ignored as Bush Slashed Flood Defense Budget to Pay for Wars - both VERY highly recommended for details and credibility
Don't debate here
Please don't debate issues on this page. If you want to debate specific problems, causes, blame, see the Hurricane Katrina issue page. Much commentary below reinforces the positions above. Open politics argument works better if you help pluck out the facts and quotes and claims from the commentary and use them to elaborate issue/position/argument statements that compile many sources into one page on each position.