City and County of Honolulu
The City and County of Honolulu encompasses the city of Honolulu and the rest of the island of Oahu.
The City and County of Honolulu has a 'strong mayor' form of governance. The Mayor does not sit in on Council meetings. Jeremy Harris, the former Mayor of Honolulu, did not run for reelection in 2004 because of term limits. Mufi Hannemann and Duke Bainum were candidates in the contest for Mayor in the 2004 general election. Mufi Hannemann won the 2004 general election for Mayor of Honolulu. Mufi Hannemann easily won the 2008 general election against Ann Kobayashi. Peter Carlisle won the mayoral election in 2010, defeating acting Mayor Kirk Caldwell. Mayor Mufi Hannemann had resigned to run for Governor in 2010.
The Honolulu City Council is the legislative body and is comprised of nine councimembers representing nine geographical districts on Oahu. The City Council meets throughout the year. The Office of the City Clerk, Office of Council Services and the semi-autonomous Office of the City Auditor are under the auspices of the City Council. Present councilmember and councilmembers-elect are listed below:
- District I (Leeward Coast, ‘Ewa, Kapolei): Todd Apo A special election to serve out the term of Honolulu City Councilman Todd Apo has been set for Dec. 29, 2010.
- District II (Mililani Mauka, Wahiawa, North Shore, ‘Ahuimanu): Ernie Martin
- District III (Kane‘ohe, Kailua, Waimanalo): Ikaika Anderson
- District IV (East Honolulu, Waikiki): Stanley Chang
- District V (Palolo, Kapahulu, Manoa, Makiki): Ann Kobayashi
- District VI (Downtown, Nu‘uanu, Kalihi Valley): Rod Tam
- District VII (Kalihi, Salt Lake, Foster Village): Tulsi Gabbard Tamayo
- District VIII (Moanalua, Halawa, Pearl City, Waipi‘o): Nestor Garcia
- District IX (Mililani, Waipahu, Makakilo): Breene Harimoto
The Prosecuting Attorney of Honolulu is responsible for the prosecution of offenders of the laws and regulations set forth by the City Council and signed into law by the Mayor of Honolulu. He also prosecutes offenses against the laws of the state under the authority of the attorney general of the state. Peter Carlisle has won reelection to a second four year term in 2004.
- City and County of Honolulu (C&C of Honolulu)
- Mufi Hannemann, Mayor of Honolulu (C&C of Honolulu)
- Honolulu City Council (C&C of Honolulu)
- Honolulu City Council District Map (C&C of Honolulu)
- Honolulu Prosecuter, Peter Carlisle (C&C of Honolulu)