Hawaii State Department of Land and Natural Resources
The Hawaii State Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR), is one of many departments that make up the executive branch of government of the state of Hawaii. DLNR's focus is on state lands and waters and their natural and historical resources. As such, DLNR is a lightning rod for politics in Hawaii whose environment is its 'golden egg'. Listed below are the divisions, offices, boards and commissions under DLNR's wing.
The present Director of the DLNR is Laura Thielen replaced previous director Peter Young in 2007. As Director, she oversees the department and also organizes and conducts the semi-monthly meeting of the Board of Land and Natural Resources.
DLNR under Peter Young
Conservation groups along with the Office of Hawaiian Affairs (OHA) and other Hawaiian organizations discontent with DLNR's staff shortages, low morale and backlogs in reinterring Hawaiian remains, have called for an audit of the department. House Concurrent Resolutions 60 and 200, calling for just such an audit, have been passed by the Hawaii State Legislature during its 2005 session.
OHA's concerns with DLNR are focuses on the slow cataloguing ceded lands, the lack of consultation on decisions regarding ceded lands, the unfilled positions in the Burial Sites Program and the backlogs of the Burial Sites Program.
More than 150 staff positions within DLNR have been left unfilled, decreasing DLNR's functional effectiveness. DLNR Director, Peter Young, blames vacancies on the Legislature's cut of 87 positions in 2004 and on hiring freezes by both Governor Linda Lingle and prior Gov. Benjamin J. Cayetano.
The resignation of DLNR's Deputy Director of water resource management, Yvonne Izu, in February 2005, again heaped negative attention on Young. Izu's primary duty was administering the state water code under the direction of the Hawaii State Commission on Water Resource Management. Izu resigned after being asked to write testimony in support of Senate Bill 503, which effectively abolishes the statewide Water Commission. SB 503 was introduced by Republican Sens. Fred Hemmings, Bob Hogue, Gordon Trimble, Sam Slom and Paul Whalen and supported by the Lingle administration.
The appointment of Dan Davidson in 2003 as deputy director of DLNR had the Sierra Club crying foul. Davidson was executive director of the Land Use Research Foundation, a pro-development lobby group that represents large landowners. The appointment of Young, a former real estate appraiser, initially raised eyebrows.
Divisions and Offices
- Bureau of Conveyances
- Division of Aquatic Resources
- Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation
- Division of Conservation and Resource Enforcement
- Division of Forestry and Wildlife
- Division of State Parks
- Historic Preservation Division
- Land Division
- Office of Conservation and Coastal Lands
Boards and Commissions
- Board of Land and Natural Resources
- Hawaii State Commission on Water Resource Management
- Kahoolawe Island Reserve Commission
- Natural Area Reserves Commission
- Hawaii Historic Places Review Board
- Island Burial Councils
- Department of Land and Natural Resources (State of Hawaii)
- Vorsino, Mary. State criticized over burial councils Honolulu Star-Buletin, 12-31-04.
- Leone, Diana. OHA criticizes state land director -- The agency votes to express concern to Lingle and call for a department audit Honolulu Star-Buletin, 2-25-05.
- Vorsino, Mary. KAENA POINT: Drivers harm natural areas -- The illegal use of popular all-terrain vehicles takes an environmental toll that alarms the state Honolulu Star-Buletin, 3-7-05.
- Leone, Diana. Groups demand action from DLNR Honolulu Star-Buletin, 3-23-05.
- Carlson, Ragnar. Peter Young under the gun -- In 21st century Hawai‘i, it’s still a struggle for water and land Honolulu Weekly, 3-23-05.
- Leone, Diana. Volunteers to help protect lands -- A new program aims to deter abuse of natural resources Honolulu Star-Buletin, 3-26-05.
- Leone, Diana. Legislators hear calls for state DLNR audit Honolulu Star-Buletin, 3-31-05.
- DePledge, Derrick. State land director goes on defensive Honolulu Advertiser, 3-31-05.
- OUR OPINION: Natural resources too important to be neglected THE ISSUE: The Department of Land and Natural Resources and its director have come under fire Honolulu Star-Buletin, 4-3-05.
- Staton, Ron. Lawmakers want DLNR scrutinized Honolulu Star-Buletin, 4-18-05.
- Star-Bulletin staff. Lingle taps Masuda for DLNR post Honolulu Star-Buletin, 4-29-05.
- Alien species
- Itagawa, Mary. Wildlife in the garden -- Pigs and other invasive species are killing native Hawaiian wildlife and costing taxpayers money Honolulu Star-Bulletin, August 6, 2006.
- Itagawa, Mary. Alien Invasion: Fenced-in game areas might be the only way to save Hawaii's native flora and fauna from introduced species (Part 2 of a series) Honolulu Star-Bulletin, August 13, 2006.
- Aquatic related
- Leone, Diana. Buoy takes panic out of Point Panic -- No-surfboard zones for use by bodysurfers will be clearly marked Honolulu Star-Bulletin, September 29, 2006.
- Pendleton, Ray. Little info available on committees Honolulu Star-Bulletin, October 8, 2006.
- Audit of DLNR finds lack of leadership Pacific Business News, January 2, 2006.
- Bills in the state legislature
- Leone, Diana. Environment drives DLNR budget bid Honolulu Star-Bulletin, January 10, 2006.
- Young, Peter. Bills would rob DLNR of power to manage marine resources Honolulu Star-Bulletin, February 19, 2006.
- Dam inspections: fallout from Kaloko
- Apgar, Sally. No state dam checks since '04 -- The DLNR concedes it has inspected none of some 140 dams in more than a year Honolulu Star-Bulletin, March 21, 2006.
- Leone, Diana. Flaws seen at all 54 Kauai dams -- The state finally releases results for the 54 structures surveyed after a fatal breach Honolulu Star-Bulletin, May 20, 2006.
- Leone, Diana. Oahu reservoirs all need help -- Overgrown vegetation and erosion head the list of deficiencies, none critical, on dam inspection reports Honolulu Star-Bulletin, June 21, 2006.
- Leone, Diana. DLNR sets up 24-hour hot line -- The toll-free number is to encourage reports of threats to natural and cultural resources Honolulu Star-Bulletin, October 11, 2006.
- Mauna Kea
- Wilderness rules
- Star-Bulletin staff. State airs tighter wilderness rules -- Hearings will be held on DLNR's proposals for wilderness areas Honolulu Star-Bulletin, June 22, 2006.
- Leone, Diana. 40 officers to beef up DLNR enforcement -- Gov. Lingle proposes boosting the agency's budget by $9 million, half of it to add staff Honolulu Star-Bulletin, January 1, 2007.
- Lucas, Carolyn. DLNR issues 373 citations on Big Isle -- Officials citing people at least once a day for violating the laws protecting natural resources Hawaii Tribune-Herald, February 4, 2007.
- TenBruggencate, Jan. Plan to boost conservation enforcement gains allies Honolulu Advertiser, February 6, 2007.
- Bureau of Conveyances
- White, Doug. Special Committee named to scrutinize Bureau of Conveyances allegations Poinography, May 24, 2007.
- Peter Young
- OHA criticizes state land director -- The agency votes to express concern to Lingle and call for a department audit Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 2-25-05.
- Peter Young under the gun -- In 21st century Hawai‘i, it’s still a struggle for water and land Honolulu Weekly, 3-23-05.
- Problems at DLNR affect us all Honolulu Advertiser, 4-24-05.
- Cook Lauer, Nancy. Young on hot seat -- DLNR chairman position debated in Senate Hawaii Tribune-Herald, February 3, 2007.
- OUR OPINION: Senate panel should reconfirm Young THE ISSUE: A Senate committee will consider the land and naturalresources director's reappointment. Honolulu Star-Bulletin, April 8, 2007.
- Leone, Diana. DLNR director faces fight for job - Peter Young's hearing before a Senate panel also involves 13 subpoenaed witnesses Honoluu Star-Bulletin, April 8, 2007.
- Leone, Diana. DLNR chief's hearing takes unusual turn Honolulu Star-Bulletin, April 12, 2007.
- Leone, Diana. DLNR staff hit Young over harbors budget Honolulu Star-Bulletin, April 13, 2007.
- Leone, Diana. Hearing on Young held in private -- The DLNR director is expected to talk next week about his tenure Honolulu Star-Bulletin, April 14, 2007.
- Leone, Diana. Gov blasts panel as hearing drags -- No confirmation is yet in sight for DLNR Director Peter Young Honolulu Star-Bulletin, April 18, 2007.
- Borreca, Richard. Senate sorts appointees -- Support for Cabinet member Peter Young surprised lawmakers, Gov. Lingle asserts Honolulu Star-Bulletin, April 19, 2007.
- OUR OPINION: Senators should not use rubber stamps -- or rubber hoses THE ISSUE: DLNR director Peter Young's reappointment has dragged through five days of hearings. Honolulu Star-Bulletin, April 22, 2007.
- Borreca, Richard. Senate panel turns down Young for DLNR director -- Gov. Lingle's pick is criticized for performance as head of DLNR Honolulu Star-Bulletin, April 24, 2007.
- Leone, Diane. Young backers say Senate ignored wishes of public Honolulu Star-Bulletin, April 25, 2007.
- DLNR's Young ousted -- State senators reject support by native and environmental groups Honolulu Star-Bulletin, April 25, 2007.
- Borreca, Richard. Lingle says jobs will be hard to fill -- Young's dismissal alerts candidates and detractors, she says Honolulu Star-Bulletin, April 25, 2007.
- Hooser, Gary. On Peter Young… Senate Majority Caucus, May 23, 2007.
- Daranciang, Nelson. Ethics panel hire is ripped on ethics -- Hilton Lui is accused of bias for his part in Peter Young's failure to win reappointment Honolulu Star-Bulletin, July 2, 2007.
- OUR OPINION: Let attorney general investigate Bureau of Conveyances THE ISSUE: The director of the state Ethics Committee said he will not forward a report on the state Bureau of Conveyances because of the investigator's bias. Honolulu Star-Bulletin, July 3, 2007.