Hawaii Global Warming Solutions Act of 2007
The Global Warming Solutions Act, was passed by the Hawaii State Legislature by "overwhelming bipartisan margins in both houses" in 2007. According to the Act, it will be Hawaii state policy to "get Hawai'i's greenhouse gas emissions down to 1990 levels by 2020". California passed a similar measure last year in 2006. Oregon, New Jersey and Washington are also pursuing or passing similar legislation. 
In a Honolulu Advertiser article dated July 2, 2007, Jan TenBruggencate reported on some of the Act's specifics:
- "The state Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism has until the end of next year to update a list of all sources of greenhouse gas emissions.
- The state Department of Health will be responsible for enacting rules to limit greenhouse gas emissions.
- A 10-member Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction Task Force will have four members from business, two state department heads, two University of Hawai'i representatives and two environmental group members. The task force will have until the end of 2009 to develop a plan for "maximum practically and technically feasible and cost-effective reductions in greenhouse gas emissions."
- The task force is to deliver to the 2010 Legislature its plan, including proposals for regulation, for accomplishing the reduction — giving the scheme 10 years to roll back emissions 20 years." 
Governor Lingle signed the bill into law on June 30, 2007. 
- HB226 CD1 Hawaii State Legislature.
- Gov. Lingle notifies legislature of the new Act
- Rising Tide Hawaii
- HB226 Rising Tide Hawaii.
- Mikulina, Jeff. COMMENTARY: Hawai'i can make climate-change difference Honolulu Advertiser, April 17, 2007.
- Stokes, Ken. Hawaii greenhouse emissions cap advances Sustainability in Hawaii, April 28, 2007.
- Historic global warming bill passes legislature -- House Bill 226 sets enforceable statewide greenhouse gas limit; Hawai‘i to become second in nation with pollution cap Maui Tomorrow, May 1, 2007.
- Pereira, Andrew. New Law Controls Green House Gases KHON2 TV, May 2, 2007.
- OUR OPINION: Consequences of global warming demand passage of bill THE ISSUE: Legislation to limit greenhouse gases to check global warming is set for a vote tomorrow. Honolulu Star-Bulletin May 2, 2007.
- Leone, Diana. Hawaii passes law to cap emissions at 1990 levels -- Gov. Lingle has until July 10 to act on the bill, which wins broad bipartisan support Honolulu Star-Bulletin, May 7, 2007.
- Air Heads Honolulu Weekly, May 30, 2007.
- TenBruggencate, Jan. Hawaii prepared to clean up emissions Honolulu Adveriser, July 2, 2007.