Georgia Executive Branch Elections, 2006
(Redirected from Georgia gubernatorial election, 2006)
This page covers Executive Branch elections for the state of Georgia in 2006. Last update: July 19, 2006.
- Sonny Perdue (R) (cw) Incumbent with below average approval ratings. Won reelection.
- Mark Taylor (D) (cw) Lt. Governor and Ex-State Senator.
- Garrett Hayes (Libertarian). Computer Consultant.
- Primary Results:
Also see 2006 Governor elections.
- Greg K. Hecht (D) (cw) Ex-State Senator and Attorney.
- Jim Martin (D) (cw) Ex-State Representative, Ex-State Human Resources Commissioner, Attorney and Vietnam Veteran.
- Casey Cagle (R) (cw) State Senator and Businessman. Won general election.
- Primary Results:
- Quick Analysis: This is to fill the post of Mark Taylor who is running for Governor. Reed's connections to Jack Abramoff proved to be his downfall.
Secretary of State
- Gail Buckner (D) (cw) State Rep. and former teacher.
- Darryl Hicks (D) (cw) Energy Company Lobbyist.
Scott Holcomb (D) Attorney and Iraq War Veteran (Fighting Dems anyone?). Carol Jackson (D) Ex-State Senator. Angela Moore (D) Medical Staffing Company Owner. Shyam Reddy (D) Attorney. Charlie Bailey (R) Credit Management Company President.
- Karen Handel (R) (cw) Fulton County Commission Chair. Won general election.
- Bill Stephens (R) (cw) State Senate Majority Leader.
- Primary Results: There will be run-off elections on both sides: Buckner and Hicks will meet for the Democratics, while Handel and Stephens will meet for the Republicans.
- Quick Analysis: This is to fill the post of Cathy Cox who ran for Governor.
- Thurbert Baker (D) (cw) Incumbent. Won reelection.
- Perry McGuire (R) (cw) Ex-State Senator and Attorney.
State School Superintendent
- Kathy Cox (R) (cw) Incumbent. Won reelection.
- Denise Majette (D) (cw) former Congresswoman and Judge.
- Quick Analysis: Kathy Cox has steadily attempted to introduce intelligent design and even attempted to remove the word "Evolution" from biology courses, replacing it with "Biological changes over time."
State Agriculture Commissioner
- Tommy Irvin (D) (cw) Incumbent. Won reelection.
- Gary Black (R) (cw) Georgia Agribusiness Council President.
Bob Greer (R) Businessman.
- Brian Kemp (R) (cw) State Senator.
Dee Dee Strickland (R) Farmer.
- Primary Results: Black (R) and Kemp (R) will meet in a run-off, and the winner will face Irvin (D), the incumbent.
- Quick Analysis: Tommy Irvin has held this post forever.
State Insurance Commissioner
- John W. Oxendine (R) (cw) Incumbent. Won reelection.
- Guy Drexinger (D) (cw) Attorney and Accountant.