Gary Hooser, a Democrat, represents the 7th Senatorial District in the Hawaii State Legislature. This district includes the islands of Kauai and Niihau. He was first elected to serve the district in 2003. Hooser, as the incumbent in 2004, defeated former Kauai Mayor Maryann Kusaka to retain his seat. In 2006, Hooser ran unsuccessfully for Hawaii's 2nd congressional seat that was vacated by Ed Case. Hooser is the Majority Leader in the 2007 Hawaii State Legislature.
Transportation and Energy Policy
The 7th District State Senator has spoken out in favor of pragamatic, fair and energy efficient transportation policy. In April 2005 he supported legislation providing Honolulu with the means to fund rail transit, allowing an annual tax on the value of vehicles and clarifying that the city and county have the authority to raise the local fuel tax. He is quoted as suporting the fuel and vehicle taxes because they impact only drivers. "If you're not part of the problem ... you don't have to pay," he said. "People in our community are slaves to their cars and we need to break that chain." Source: Tara Godvin. "Lawmaker Pass Tax Breaks, Increases." Associated Press. April 13, 2005.
- Date of birth: January 19, 1954
- Married: Claudette
- Children: Dylan and Kelli-Rose
- 1972, Radford High School
- 1978, HETADI - Hawaii Entrepreneur Institute
- 1990, A.A., Kauai Community College
- 1996, B.A., University of Hawaii West Oahu
- Prof. Studies - Public Administration
- Senator, 7th Senatorial District, since 2002
- 1998-2002, member, Kauai County Council
- Chair: Public Safety, Economic Development
- Former founder/owner of:
- Wai'oli Properties, Inc. (real estate sales and development)
- H&S Publishing LLC (print and Internet publishing)
- 1992 S.B.A Kaua'i Media Advocate of the Year
- 1995 Chamber of Commerce, Entrepreneur of the Year
- 1997 Rotary Club of Kapaa - Business Person of the Year
- Member of various community organizations - including Rotary Club of Kapaa
- Kauai Filipino Chamber of Commerce*
- Board Member, Island School
Senate Committee Assignments:
Senate Task Force:
- Senate Affordable Housing Task Force (Co-Chair)
- Hawai'i State Capitol, Room 214
- 415 South Beretania Street
- Honolulu, HI 96813
- Phone: 808-586-6030
- Fax: 808-586-6031
- From Kauai, toll free: 274-3141 + 66030
- E-mail: senhooser@Capitol.hawaii.gov
- Hooser, Gary L. Americans Deserve a Just Society for All Honolulu Advertiser, 7-6-06.
- Official Blog of Hawaii State Senator Gary L. Hooser
- Gary L. Hooser (Hawaii State Legislature)
- Sen. Gary Hooser's website
- 2003-2004 Legislature Environmental SCORECARD -- 92% (Hawaii Sierra Club)
- 2005-2006 Legislature Environmental SCORECARD -- 93% (Hawaii Sierra Club))
- Sommer, Anthony. A&B closer to getting permits for Kauai resort Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 9-30-1999.
- Sommer, Anthony. Kauai senator knocked on taxes -- A GOP leader assails Gary Hooser for his past failure to file excise tax returns Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 10-11-04.
- Reyes, B.J. State addresses housing crunch -- Affordable shelter has become hard to find even for the middle class Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 1-10-05.
- Reyew, B.J. Legislative bills advance campaign finance reform Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 3-5-05.
- By state Sens. Ron Menor and Gary Hooser, and Reps. Michael Kahikina and Scott Nishimoto. Solving affordable housing crisis Honolulu Advertiser, 5-29-05.
- Lingle signs Omnibus Housing Bill Hawaii Business News, 7-6-05.
- Hooser, Gary L. A vision should begin with the end in mind Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 9-26-05.
- White, Doug. In land of aloha, homelessness unacceptable Poinography!, 11-15-05)
- TenBruggencate, Jan. Hooser first in race for House By Jan TenBruggencate Honolulu Advertiser, 2-7-06)
- TenBruggencate, Jan. Legislator touting rural roots Honolulu Advertiser, August 31, 2006.
- Harju, Adam. Hooser takes reins in Senate The Garden Island, November 15, 2006.
- Hooser, Gary. COMMENTARY: State must do more on homeless problem Honolulu Advertiser, January 25, 2007.
- Au, Laurie. KSSK apologizes to state senator -- Hooser holds Price, not KSSK, at fault Honolulu Star-Bulletin, May 7, 2007.
- Au, Laurie. Price sorry for jabs at Hooser -- But KSSK's sincerity is in doubt after Perry says the apology wasn't necessary Honolulu Star-Bulletin, May 8, 2007.
back to Hawaii