Note that polling places only require one optical scanner per polling place, but may require many DRE machines per polling place.
- How much do localities spend on elections?
- NC Coalition for Verified Voting cost comparison of voting methods; cost study compared annual expenditures of two optical scan counties to
the annual expenditures of two touchscreen/DRE counties, and found that optical scan was about $2.00 cheaper per registered voter per year, leading to a savings of $1 million for a county with 500,000 voters
- John Washburn on comparison of costs of optical scan vs. DRE
- Voters Unite on comparison of costs of optical scan vs. DRE
- Maryland governor's letter on estimated vs. actual costs
- "Salt Lake County Mayor Corroon says upkeep of Electronic Voting Machines Costing 'Millions and Millions'" OpEdNews article by Kathy Dopp; includes links to several cost studies (December 10, 2006)