Historically, the Christian Crusades were wars fought by Europeans at the urgings of several successive Popes against Middle-Eastern Muslims over control of Jerusalem and the surrounding territory, collectively known as "The Holy Land". They lasted from from 1095 to 1291. Later campaigns of the Catholic Church against heretics such as the Albigensians, and against non-Christians such as Turkish Muslims, were also called Crusades. Since the word "crusade" derives from the Christian cross, it is incorrect to use the term for any non-Christian action.
Al Qaeda and Christian Right
One of Al-Qaeda's main complaints is that modern European and American Crusaders want to destroy Islam through genocide or cultural corruption. Right-Wing US Christians confirm this complaint constantly with their propaganda and their overt actions. Here is a small sample.
- Crusade! (I.e., Hate-based Idiocy Bound to Fail!) A former Blackwater employee and an ex-U.S. Marine....claim that the company's owner, Erik Prince, "views himself as a Christian crusader tasked with eliminating Muslims and the Islamic faith."
- The Last Crusade - ISLAM: THE WAR THAT WON’T GO AWAY
- Islamic Crusades vs. Christian Crusades
- Anti-Islamic Crusade Gets Organized
- Pastor John Hagee on Christian Zionism John Hagee is the founder of the Christian Zionist group, Christians United for Israel.
- The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades) by Robert Spencer, Jeff Riggenbach
- Pat Robertson attacks Islam on Hannity and Colmes show on Fox
Several members of the Bush Administration and active-duty military officers used the term "Crusade" in describing wars against Al-Qaeda, the Taliban, and Iraq, even after being warned of the untoward consequences. There are reports of Evangelical Christians in the US military evangelizing in Afghanistan and Iraq, contrary to local law and explicit orders, and US forces vandalizing mosques in Iraq. Some high-ranking officers consider it their duty to proselytize the entire US military.
- Europe cringes at Bush 'crusade' against terrorists, September 19, 2001
- Jesus killed Mohammed: The crusade for a Christian military by Jeff Sharlett
- U.S. Military's Middle East Crusade for Christ
- Crusade for Christian Military Includes Campus Crusades Military Ministry in a story about US military proselytizing in Afghanistan. "...we look exactly like the Crusaders of 1096 to the Iraqis and now the Afghans." Jeff Sharlett