Cindy Sheehan is a peace activist and a founder of Gold Star Families for Peace.
Sheehan's son, Army Spc. Casey Sheehan, of Vacaville, California, was killed in Sadr City (located in Baghdad) on April 4th, 2004, in combat. In June of that year, President George W. Bush met with Sheehan. As she described the encounter, "He wouldn't look at the pictures of Casey. He didn't even know Casey's name," she told CNN Sunday. "Every time we tried to talk about Casey and how much we missed him, he would change the subject."
In August of 2005, when George W. Bush decided to go on yet another vacation, Cindy went to protest at his Texas ranch. Cindy has documented her stay there, dubbed "Camp Casey", in several diaries on the Daily Kos website.
Her presence outside the Bush ranch frightend a number of conservatives. On August 7, 2006 Federal Judge Walter S. Smith ruled that a ban on the camping at the protest site was constitutional.
April 7, 2004: The San Francisco Chronicle interviews the Sheehan family and Casey's former scoutmaster, Bob Vollmer:
Now, family and friends are left to wonder about the war that took Sheehan's life -- but not about his commitment or their support, Vollmer said.
"This can hit home -- this is stupid, what's going on," he said. "(But) there's no way we're not supporting our troops."
April 19, 2004: Story in Contra Costa Times about Sheehan and two other soldiers killed in Iraq:
But the Sheehans also hope the soldiers who have come home to be buried here also raise more questions with the public about the conflict in Iraq. They watch the news and wonder why more young soldiers must die. Like Crowley, the couple said they support the military, but not the war in Iraq.
June 24, 2004: Travel to Seattle area for visit with Bush.
July 12, 2004 (just 18 days later): Cindy Sheehan and her daughter are listed on a news release from Military Families Speak Out as willing to speak with reporters about their opposition to the war. The release states:
Through their grief, military families who have suffered unbearable loss say: "not one more family should suffer what we have suffered, for a war that should never have happened, for a war based on lies. Military Families Speak Out asks the United States Senate: How can you ask a soldier to be the last to die for a lie?"
Daily Kos Diaries
Cindy Sheehan's diaries on Crawford trip
- Diary I: We Are Going to Crawford to stop the killing
- Diary II: Camp Casey
- Diary III: Day 3 of the Peace Occupation of Crawford
- Diary IV: The Peaceful Occupation of Iraq
- Diary V: The Peaceful Occupation of Crawford Day 5
- Diary VI: The Peaceful Occupation of Crawford Day 6
- Diary VII: We Don't Have to Be Angry Anymore Day 7
- Diary VIII: WOW: The Peaceful Occupation of Crawford Day 8
- Diary IX: Hope: The Peaceful Occupation of Crawford Day 9
- Diary X: Misses and Miracles
- Diary XI: Putting out Fires Day 10
- Diary XII: Vigils
- Diary XIII: Leaving Camp Casey
- Diary XIV: My Mom
- Diray XV: Hypocrites and Liars
- Diray XVI: "Go Home and Take Care of Your Kids" Day 16
- Diary XVII: My Mom again
- Diary XVIII: My Response to George Day 17
- Diary XIX: Casey Day 18
- Diary XX: False Freedom Isn't Free Day 19
- Diary XXI: Exhaustion Day 20
- Diary XXII: Not One More Day 21
Cindy Sheehan's previous diaries
Related Daily Kos Diaries
- Anti-American a***** mows down crosses at Camp Casey
- For Whom the Bell Tolls: Camp Casey/Fire Ant Edition
- UPDATED: For Whom the Bell Tolls: Camp Casey's Newest Recruits
- Cindy Sheehan Ad Airs on Crawford Cable TV (OMG!)
- They WERE Chanting WE DON'T CARE!
- Open Letter to Anti Cindy Trolls
- Anti-American Losers Depart Protest: Cindy Won't Back Down
- Drudge Letter RE: Cindy from Republican Side of Family; BREAKING: Drudge Continues to Smear Cindy
- The Swiftboating of Cindy Begins, Station Disses Cindy
- Cindy Still Needs Your Help; ClearChannel Stations "Cancel" Anti-Sheehan BBQ
- Support Cindy (by Congressman John Conyers)
- Cindy: Sheriff there now, wants vehicles gone, threatens arrest ASAP
- Cindy Sheehan to Be Arrested Thursday
- Congressman Conyers Circulating Letter (FOR CINDY)
- CORRECTION: Cindy Sheehan arrest only speculation
- Cindy Sheehan threatened with arrest by Texas legislator.
- DRUDGE attempts to "Swift Boat" Cindy Sheehan
- Interview with Cindy Sheehan on Laura Flanders
- Organizing Buses to Crawford
- Drudge Smears, Quotes Cindy Sheehan Out of Context
- Drudge attacks Cindy Sheehan
- Cindy Sheehan Launches New Website
- New NYT piece on Cindy
- Senator(R) tells Bush: be DECENT - meet Sheehan !
- 4 generations of vets stand with Cindy Sheehan and "capture" a potential HVT (with pics)
- Cindy Update - Sunday's Schedule
- Barbara Boxer encourages Cindy
- Today in Crawford, TX with Cindy Sheehan
- Another Letter from Celeste Re: Cindy
- Protesting Bush's War with Cindy Sheehan
- Cindy Sheehan hits the wires + goes global
- Letter from Celeste Zappala RE: Cindy
- CINDY, CRAWFORD & the MEDIA...I am PISSED..
- Cindy Sheehan & Crew in Crawford
- For Whom the Bell Tolls: Camp Casey's Newest Recruits
- For Whom the Bell Tolls 2: Camp Casey Increases Ranks
- For Whom the Bell Tolls 3: The World Reacts
- For Whom the Bell Tolls 4: The Pilgrims of Camp Casey
- ACTION: Can't Be in Crawford?
- Everyone Knows It's Cindy