September 11, 2001 attacks
The attacks of September 11, 2001 were the deadliest acts of terrorism ever committed in the United States, killing nearly 3000 people. Four airplanes were hijacked by 19 terrorists. One was crashed into the Pentagon, one crashed in a field in Pennsylvania, and two were crashed into the World Trade Center towers, leading to their collapse. Later that afternoon a third World Trade Center tower collapsed spontaneously.
The United States government was quick to finger Osama Bin Laden, and other members of his al-Qaida terrorist group, though he denied responsibility. Later USA invaded Afghanistan to remove the ruling Taliban, after asccusing them of harboring Osama Bin Laden.
Daily Kos Links
- "7 Minutes" Diary: what were you doing those seven minutes? (Note: you can still post your own)
- 9/11 Remembered: Our Stories
- National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States
- Joint Inquiry into Intelligence Community Activities before and after the Terrorist Attacks of September 11, 2001
- Complete 9/11 Timeline at the Center for Cooperative Research
- The Memory Hole 9/11 page, includes NYPD radio transcripts, audio of FDNY radio communications, video of President Bush, and other related media
- Timeline Compiled by Mark R. Elsis, Lovearth.net, September 9, 2002
- Timeline by Paul Thompson
- Pentagon's Commemorative America Supports Your Freedom Walk- The Bush administration's proposed parade to celebrate 9-11