Connecticut U.S. Senate election, 2006
The 2006 race for the U.S. Senator from Connecticut will be a race between these candidates:
Major party candidates
Other: Joe Lieberman
Incumbent Democratic Senator and former Vice Presidential Nominee Joe Lieberman has lost the Democratic Party Primary to challenger Ned Lamont because of Lieberman's tone deaf embrace of the second Bush administration's failed foreign policy in the Middle East. Lieberman has vowed to continue his campaign as an unaffiliated candidate in the general election.
More information about this topic is available at the article on Wikipedia about Connecticut U.S. Senate election, 2006
If you wish to copy text from Wikipedia, please do so in accordance with the site policies.
Frequently Asked Questions About This Race
CT-Sen FAQ contains a list of frequently asked questions about this race with answers taken from Daily Kos, such as "why shouldn't Lieberman be in the Senate?", "Is the opposition to Lieberman just about his Iraq war support?", "What is this Ned Lamont guy about?", "Isn't he way too far to the left?", and "Why are people at Daily Kos so fixated on this race?". The positions in the FAQ are supported by front page stories on Daily Kos, or "recommended" diaries which have broad support in the Daily Kos community.
2006 General Election Polling Data
|Rasmussen||August 22, 2006||Ned Lamont 43%||Alan Schlesinger 6%||Joseph Lieberman 45%|
|Rasmussen||August 12, 2006||Ned Lamont 41%||Alan Schlesinger 6%||Joseph Lieberman 46%|
|Rasmussen||July 20, 2006||Ned Lamont 40%||Alan Schlesinger 13%||Joseph Lieberman 40%|
|Quinnipiac||July 20, 2006||Joseph Lieberman 68%||Alan Schlesinger 15%|
|Quinnipiac||July 20, 2006||Ned Lamont 45%||Alan Schlesinger 22%|
|Quinnipiac||July 20, 2006||Ned Lamont 27%||Alan Schlesinger 9%||Joseph Lieberman 51%|
|Rasmussen||June 19, 2006||Joseph Lieberman 61%||Alan Schlesinger 23%|
|Rasmussen||June 19, 2006||Ned Lamont 29%||Alan Schlesinger 15%||Joseph Lieberman 44%|
|Quinnipiac||June 8, 2006||Joseph Lieberman 68%||Alan Schlesinger 14%|
|Quinnipiac||June 8, 2006||Ned Lamont 37%||Alan Schlesinger 20%|
|Quinnipiac||June 8, 2006||Ned Lamont 18%||Alan Schlesinger 8%||Joseph Lieberman 56%|
|Quinnipiac||May 2, 2006||Joseph Lieberman 65%||Alan Schlesinger 14%|
|Quinnipiac||May 2, 2006||Ned Lamont 25%||Alan Schlesinger 20%|
|Quinnipiac||May 2, 2006||Ned Lamont 13%||Alan Schlesinger 10%||Joseph Lieberman 56%|
Joe Lieberman (Connecticut for Lieberman party, former Democrat)
- Filing Deadline (Major Parties): Late June, 2006
- Filing Deadline (Independents): August 9, 2006
- Primary: August 8, 2006
- Ned Lamont (D) (cw) - endorsed by former Gov. Lowell P. Weicker, Jr.
- Alan Schlesinger (R) - former State Representative, former Derby Mayor.
- Ralph Ferrucci (G) (cw)
- Diana Urban (I) (cw)
- Leiberman beat Lamont annd Schlesinger, 50-40-10%
- 2000: 64% / 35% over Philip A. Giordano (R)
- 1994: 67% / 31% over Jerry Labriola (R)
- 1988: 50% / 50% over Lowell P. Weicker, Jr. (R) (incumbent)
Connecticut Presidential Election Results
- 2004: Kerry 54% / Bush 44%
- 2000: Gore 56% / Bush 39%
Lamont has the Democratic nomination, and is the presumed favorite, but Lieberman will have significant support for his Independent campaign. Schlesinger has admitted that he has a gambling problem and that he sometimes visited casinos under an assumed name.
Blogs covering this election
- Yardley, William. Congressman in G.O.P. Endorses Lieberman New York Times, March 2, 2006.
- James, Frank. Kerry slams Lieberman by name Chicago Tribune, August 17, 2006.
- Quinnipiac University. Lieberman Leads Among Likely Connecticut Voters, Quinnipiac University Poll Finds Quinnipiac University Polling, August 17, 2006.
- Medina, Jennifer. Edwards, at Lamont Rally, Says Democrats Must Beat G.O.P. ‘Fearmongering’ New York Times, August 18, 2006.
- Little, Amanda Griscom. Better Off Ned? -- Enviros are split over Lieberman vs. Lamont Grist, September 1, 2006.
- Huffington, Arianna. Help Save Ned Lamont: Write His Concession Speech Today The Huffington Post, October 15, 2006.
- Marsh, Taylor. Lieberman Loses To Actual Republican Taylor Marsh', October 16, 2006.
- kos. CT-Sen: Schlesinger! And Lieberman flips on Bolton Daily Kos, October 17, 2006.
Christopher Dodd (D)
- Christopher Dodd (D)
- up for reelection in 2010.