- Year of the School shooting.
- Comet Hale-Bopp pays a visit to the inner solar system.
- China's population is 1,236.26 million.
- Jared Diamond publishes Guns, Germs and Steel.
- Ross Gellspan publishes The Heat is On.
- Dick Morris publishes Behind the Oval Office: Winning the Presidency in the Nineties.
- Arizona Gov. Fife Symington is forced to resign after being was convicted of fraud for filing false financial statements to banks. Conviction overturned in 1999.
- Aslan Maskhadov elected President of Chechnya.
- Eritrea launches its own currency, the Nakfa.
- February 2: School shooting by 14 year old in Moses Lake, Alaska leaves three dead.
- February 12: Darwin Day
- February 19: School shooting by 16 year old in Bethel Lake, Alaska leaves 2 dead and 2 wounded.
- March 26: Secretary of State Madeleine Albright delivers a speech at Georgetown University and argues that sanctions on Iraq probably will not end until Saddam Hussein is replaced.
- March 26: Thirty-nine men and women, members of the "Heaven's Gate" cult, commit suicide in Rancho Santa Fe near San Diego, California. Q: Why did the Heaven's Gate members commit suicide? A: Because they lived in a $1.3 million mansion but had to sleep in bunk beds.
- June 4: Marie Ségolène Royal becomes French Vice-Minister of Education.
- June 18: UN Security Council expresses concerns over Iraq's threatening actions against UNSCOM helicopters and crews.
- June 21: Iraq once again refuses access to UN inspection teams to sites under investigation, UN Security Council passes Resolution 1115, which condemns Iraq's actions and demands that it allow UNSCOM's team immediate, unconditional and unrestricted access to any sites for inspection and officials for interviews.
- July 1: China assumes control of Hong Kong from Britain.
- July 5: Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen leads a coup d'etat against fellow Cambodian Prime Minister Ranariddh.
- August: 185,000 teamsters go on strike against UPS, bring it to a standstill and win most of their demands.
- October 1: School shooting by 16 year old in Pearl, Mississippi leaves 2 dead and 7 wounded.
- December 1: School shooting by 14 year old West Paducah, Kentucky (Pre-school prayer circle) leaves 3 dead and 5 wounded.
- December 15: School shooting by 14 year old in Stamps, Arkansas leaves 2 wounded.