1870 1871 1872
- John Stuart Mill's The Subjection of Women is published in Polish and Italian.
- Future U.S. Representative Meyer London is born in Kalvarija, Lithuania, which was then part of the Russian Empire).
- Declining immigration and out-migration causes Irish population in England and Wales to fall from 601,634 (1861 census) to 566,540.
- March 5: Rosa Luxembourg is born in Zamość near Lublin in Russian "Congress Poland."
- March 15: First paid (non-volunteer) fire department in Philadelphia begins operating.
- May 21-30: Army of the French Third Republic atatck the Paris Commune and brutally crush the popular rebellion.
- June 10: Captain McLane Tilton leads 109 Marines in naval attack on Han River forts in Korea.
- October 10: Election riot occurs in Philadelphia's Fourth and Fifth Wards. Isaiah Chase and Octavius V. Catto are shot and another seventeen unnamed men are wounded.
- October 27: Biss Tweed is arrested.
- November 10: "Dr. Livingtone I presume." Henry Morton Stanley meets Dr. David Livingstone.