1860s 1870s 1880s
- Meiji Restoration government of Japan frees concubines from legal disabilities and gives them the same legal rights as wives.
- July 15, 1870: Manitoba and the Northwest Territories join Canada.
- September 4, 1870: Napoleon III is deposed in a bloodless revolution, ushering in the French Third Republic.
- March 18-May 28, 1871: Paris Commune
- July 1, 1873: Prince Edward Island joins Canada.
- 1873: Japanese samurai forbidden to wear swords in public by the Meiji Restoration government.
- 1873: Timber Culture Act transfers more public land in the U.S. once owned by Native Americans to private interests.
- 1874: Britain acquires Fiji as an imperial possession.
- May 18, 1875: Ida Mabel Limouzin, George Orwell's mother, is born in Penge, south of London.
- June 3: Gen. Philip Sheridan (Union War Hero) marries Irene Rucker in Chicago.
- August 1875: Richard Blair, George Orwell's father, joins the Opium Department of the Indian Government as Assistant Sub-Deputy Opium Agent, 3rd grade.
- 1876: Sir Mark Sykes born.
- 1878: Britain acquires Cyprus as imperial possession.
- January 22, 1879: Battle of Isandhlwana.